Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: My (long) story

Re: My (long) story2009-12-17T02:12:16+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story My (long) story Re: My (long) story

ADDled

Well, I’m 56 years old and just got my diagnosis six months ago. Mad? Yes. Angry? Pissed that I have wasted all of my life fighting some unknown enemy? Yes. Feel that my life is over? No way, It’s just starting.

And in reading your story, Ultimaxum, it sounds so familiar. You cannot change the fact you are ADD but you can except the fact you need to learn how to manage it. That approach has worked for me during the last several months. I’ve been lucky because I have a really good support system in place. But that has taken a lot of effort. FInd out who ARE the experts in your area and do what ever you can to get hooked up. It started for me by getting in contact with the local family services/community outreach program. They were in a much better position to recommend those doctors, pyschiatrists, therapists who understand and can help, or point you in the right direction. IT’S NEVER TOO LATE….remember this always. I wish I had this much information and support 40 years ago…..

A famous motivational speaker that I like, Les Brown, said that “If you’re flat on your back, you’ve got nowhere to go but up”.

As far as the side effects from the meds are concerned, that’s a personal choice. I’m not going to say whether you should or not, but in my personal opinion, the benefits far outweigh any side effects (which I’ve never experienced, BTW…). The meds have really help me gain control of my situation, to the point where I could start making changes that I need to accommodate my ADD.

Good luck, stay in touch, and let us know how you’re doing.

REPORT ABUSE