Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?

Re: How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?2009-12-22T16:58:35+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD? Re: How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?

Anonymous
Inactive

It took me a year to convince my boss of my needs to function in my work environment.

1. I asked to be isolated in my work environment so less distracted, even a closed office towards the end of my carreer…

2. Having been diaged with chronic sleep apnea, I would wake up non functional some mornings, and being very dangerous to expose myself to work (impatience, very impulsive, arguments…) I would phone my boss and would take two to three hours before entering work and of course extending my hours consequently. It took a while to build a trust on this issue, and it ended up being to his advantage.

3. I made sure that my work involved only a computer as my co-worer: I could take a walk when needed, and work would wait for me. You lose your temper with your computer as it will not run to your boss to complain.

These are only a few examples, remember you have reputation to uphold at work, you do not want them to be exposed to too many of your limitations. So know yourself well and adapt your evironment to you if you can, even maybe changing jobs if needed.

REPORT ABUSE