Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD and…

ADHD and…2010-01-20T17:14:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community ADHD and…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed with ADHD in childhood (about 17 years ago) and then from the psych. department at my university. Later, I went to therapy there (ironically, not because of the ADHD) and was diagnosed with BPD. Yes, I self-injured, no, I don’t think I have BPD (particularly because it didn’t take long before I no longer fit that dx, but I still fit the one for ADHD). However, a lot of the symptoms of BPD sound similar to ADHD in adults.

Is it common to be diagnosed with both, or to misdiagnosed as one when you have the other?

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

dude! i seriously think we’re twins. b/c i too have had this discussion with my docs. my DO confirmed ADHD diagnosis. i’m so glad that you found my thread on the other forum and it linked you here. i hope you find the answers you seek. good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe it is common for ADHD and BPD to be diagnosed together. I know I am; in my case treating both has lead to relative stability. Keep in mind that BPD has different manifestations; at first I was diagnosed as BP II i.e. hypomanic I don’t get super high or super low however my moods can change very quickly and effective duration of my meds ended after a year. I was rediagnosed BP I “rapid cycler” and once again experienced stability although concentration and focus was still an issue; after 49 years I finally got a confired diagnosed with ADHD and was able to be treated with medication and yes finally was able to improve concentration and focus.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i had a doc who explained to my dad that BPD is not a new. but it was like both ADD/HD with the added symptom of a random mood generator (this was after 3 hours of trying to explain it to him). that was the layman explanation

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)