Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Strattera?

Strattera?2010-01-20T20:13:49+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Strattera Strattera?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took Ritalin up until the end of my junior year of high school. My father was rather adamant that it was a crutch, I didn’t need it, people would think badly about me if they knew, and that I not take another. Anyway, I stopped. Grades went from As to Cs and stayed that way all through college. I went from a state scholar to a mediocre student. A couple of years ago I got fed up with this and decided to try Strattera (it had been recommended highly by a fellow ADHDer). I can only describe it like Flowers for Algernon. It was like I was suddenly a genius…and I quickly spiraled into my first ever suicidal depression. Friends and family convinced me to go off of it before I did any unfixable damage. It was quite disheartening, but I was much stabler after going off the medicine. I’ve taken a low dose of Welbutrin (for depression and anxiety, the latter of which it didn’t really help at all, still worried about aliens and government collapse but wasn’t upset about it…how odd), which effects the ADHD slightly but not much.

Is there something else I could try? If I took a higher dose of Welbutrin (I’m not on anything now) might that be helpful? If I responded to Ritalin as a child would I respond well now to a lower dose?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If Ritalin worked before it would probably work again, though don’t be surprised if you need more rather than less now that you are older and larger.

I have been using Ritalin and Wellbutrin together for years and have no complaints but if Strattera really worked so well then I wouldn’t be surprised if you and your doctor could make it succeed again and next time prevent the depression now that you are better prepared.

The depression probably came more from the ADHD than from the prescription and it’s likely that putting it together with Wellbutrin will allow you to get the full benefit of the Strattera without another crash.

As for me, I’ve been increasing my dosage of Ritalin step by step for awhile and anticipate nothing but good results.

…and as for the aliens, you can relax. They’re meek, friendly and smart enough to stay well away from the two-legged heavily-armed dragons that infest this little ball, especially the smarter, more impulsive ones like you and I. ;]

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

im on strattera and for the first week or so i felt really really sad and depresssed even more, but it passed and i am now slowly increasing my dose, i felt real sick at the start too but i got passed and stuck with it. i am also on lustral and have been on that alot longer than strattera, i dont know how i would be with just strattera but for now im on both.. it seems to be going ok though it stil early days, but i wll say that yes i felt real rough for the first little while then i got past it…you could try again mybe and try gettin past the rough stage and if not then i guess its good to try somethin else, i felt dreadfull at the start but im glad i stuck wiht it.. i hope you find sometin that suits you. i have only small changes but i am on low dose still and its too early, im still impulsive forgetfull unorganised and impatience when others talk to me etc etc bu t i feel little less frustrated and abel to listen small moments at a time..small steps i guess , but i forget that most of the time and beat myself for not being able to function like others, aliens..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

lol, the alien statement was simply to point out that I get some really weird thoughts/paranoias. I don’t even believe in aliens so it’s ironic that in my more paranoid moments that I worry about stuff like that. haha, yeah, if they do exist though, they probably stay away from the likes of us.

I was on Strattera for a month, I was depressed but ok on the lower dose, but as I started to raise is when it became very bad. Now, what feels like the issue is that these kinds of meds always throw you for a loop when you first start taking them, and I just got a new job. I can’t pull out for a month to work through the effects of medication, nor do I feel inclined to tell my employers why I would be acting so odd.

For example, last year I was taking new medications for migraines (from the same neurologist who didn’t believe I had adhd, if you read the other post) and it was like someone had taken my ADHD dial and turned it up four or five notches. Organized? Brain mouth filter? Me, aggressive? lol, yeeeaaah. I did tell people I was taking medicine then because I was offending a lot of people (it doesn’t matter if the local queen bee is a bully. Telling her will never go over well. Also, telling her enforcer that if she truly understood her own language than insults would be better delivered is not a recipe for making friends in the work place). It seemed better to air my dirty laundry than to burn any more bridges. Um, there was a lot of politics at my last school.

Anyway, those experiences taught me that good meds can backfire so I am cautious to take them now. I can do my job, I’m just an underachiever who sticks with year-to-year contracts.

I guess I’m just worried that if I go back on meds I’ll end up getting fired before the good stuff starts happening.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I suggest you push your therapist on the issue of other conditions (co-morbid?) you may have. From my reading and from personal anecdotes, I understand that an undiagnosed bipolar depression can manifest under ADD medications. Just to be sure — it’s not uncommon for a physician to miss something like this.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just recently started on Strattera , and I have been having quite a bit of difficulty adjusting. I have ADD and was diagnosed with it at the age of 45. I was on Ritalin and concerta for a year and I found it to be too much or I felt jacked up. My doctor has me on 40 mg and I feel extremely sluggish but not as ramped up as I was on the concerta. I was encouraged by chips statements and I hope at the end of the month I will have the better sense that this is helpful

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

Ok everybody , i am going to see my GP on Thursday about ADHD , any insight, i am very nervous .

I just do not know how he is going to react .

I am going to take my wife just for back up .

Please let me know what to expect .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clive,

It depends very much on your doctor. My GP isn’t that well versed in ADHD, and he had me referred to a psychiatrist for assessment, who then prescribed the Strattera to me. Bringing your wife is a good idea, by the way, I did the same thing.

Doctors aren’t much on judgment, as far as I’ve experienced, anyway. He/she got into medicine to help people, not to scare, intimidate, pooh-pooh, or cast aspersions on your concerns.

I actually have my own (rather icky, sorry) Stattera question. I’m also on Wellbutrin. The daily doses of each are 60mg Strattera, and 300mg Wellbutrin XL. I had constipation issues before when I was only on Wellbutrin, but coupled with the Strattera, I’m lucky if I get a movement every 4-5 days, and then only with the help of Docusate and senna laxative. It is horrible. Frankly, I don’t like that part at all. When that day of the week comes I’m miserable with cramps and whatnot. Does anybody else experience this? If so, other than the usual bits about fibre, good diet, and exercise (I’m getting enough of all 3, thank you) did you do anything else to counteract the constipation issue?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Side effects of Straterra…

So I juststarted Straterra in addition to the wellbutrin I have been taking for over a year now. I am 47 years old and have never hd these types of problems but as soon as I started with the Straterra I now have what they call urinary hesitancy and the much dreaded Erectile dysfunction. Will these side effects pass? I have been on Straterra now for 2 weeks and although my mind has never been this clear and positive, I have to admit the side effects have taken much of the joy out of this for me. Please tell me this will pass in time.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started taking Strattera a couple of years ago. I had a rough first month (headaches, sluggishness, hard time sleeping) but once it kicked in it was awesome. It helps control the impulsivity and doesn’t seem to have any physical side effects for me. Additionally, it helps with my low level anxiety. The downside is something you will all recognize. I’m used to this scenario: I have something that needs to be done, when the ‘pressure’ reaches a certain level, the focus kicks in and I get ‘in the zone’ and get ‘er done. With Strattera I don’t ever hit that pressure wall (like I said – helps with anxiety) so by the time the focus adrenaline kicks in, I’m WAY late starting. But hey, I don’t seem to get too anxious about being late any more either.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oldman – I have the urinary hesitancy for about 4-6 hours after taking it in the morning – the first urination after lunch can be incredibly drawn out, and often is rather uncomfortable, if not slightly painful. ED isn’t as much of an issue as is the premature release issues that I’m now experiencing. I’ve been on it since January. Couple that with the constipation issues and it hasn’t been a fun ride. I pretty much have to chew gum or have mints in my mouth every hour or so too as I have such a dry mouth now. Keep me posted on how your doing, and I will do the same, please! I’m also nearly your age – 45. How much of each are you taking? I’m on Strat 60mg/day, and 300mg of Wellbutrin XL/day as well.

JQ – I had the headaches and sleeplessness too, but they diminished. Just make sure to take the pill on rising every morning – couple times I’ve forgot and taken it when I realized my error mid-afternoon – and didn’t sleep until 3am either time.

Spoke to my GP last week about maybe switching, but I have a history of alcohol abuse, and he’s hesitant to switch me to a stimulant instead. Didn’t think much of my argument that I drank BECAUSE of my ADHD, and it calmed me down – which I still think is true – in school I drank when writing essays so I could focus, then proofread the next day when sober. Weird system, but it worked to a degree.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey JQ and WALt, i am on strattera and at a low dose still at the moment 25mg and 50mg of lustral (antidepressant) it tool wihe to get past headches and initial sideeffects then when ok for bit but recently hit a suciadal depression-

have you ever experienced this???

my doctor said that as things are being sloewd down i am going to feel things alot more so this is expecteed and try stick with them but i feel this is too much and will suggest next week if i try another type of med .

i too have been in recovery for alcahol and drug abuse and i am clean for the past 6 and half years, so stimulant drugs were a concern to my doctor, but if this horrble dark depression doesnt go then i really do want to stop strattera,i am open to try stimulants meds, i dont want to go down the path of abuse again and i have no motivation to do that either so i hope that if stimulant meds are tried that it will give me some quality of life that i have never experienced -because adhd and depression my life has been a constant struggle to say the least and now that i have been diagnosed i just pray for some sort of relief and bein able to get trhough life acheivin the simple things that i find so hard to do!!

i am also scared of what i have read about strattera sein as it is such a new med too and it seems the bad reviews outway the good ones, would you let me know how you get on with stratter and what your doctor suggest as an altrnative if you cant take stimulat meds. hope you are well,

i am glad of this site!! as verry few people know i have adhd, they kinow i talk lots from topic to topic and hyper as can be! and dont focus on what they are sayin but dont know of my diagnosis as i am not able for the negatvie responses (my family wont even except it even though they spent years piontin out all my adhd traits!!!!!) so its good to hear otheres in the same boat as mysellf!! thanks for your posts!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

MArk, i just saw your post.. how is strattera workin for you now? i hit a verry bad low so i upped my anitdeepressants and see if this helps if not then i will come off the strattera, my doctor had said i bound to feel things more for a while but i hope this will pass.. there seems to be lots of reivews highlightin the depression with strattera intake so im not sure how this will turn out, i will stick with it another little whiel and see, especially as things did get better after the first initial adjusting to it.. i hope things have workede out with you? it seems bit of a rollercoaster with meds but there seems to be some encouraging results on these posts, so myb it just takes bit of time and tweeking?!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Remember atomoxetine (Strattera) is very closely related to fluoxetine (Prozac) which accounts for some of the side effect that people are talking about (emotional mood swings, erectile dysfunction, suicidal ideation, headaches, nausea) but the noradrenaline action of the med also causes the bladder retention (which is good if you are a bed wetter but bad if you are over 40).

By the way, you can take a stimulant and Strattera together and get the benefit of both. You can also take Antidepressants (except Prozac or Paxil) with Strattera.

The side effects are manageable but it does take a long time to work. You may not even notice the changes it is so slow.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thank you doctor J ! it good to hear to that it takes a while to work so mayb i will stick with for longer to see.. thats true that i haredly notice any changes yet and i been on them for few months now and this was giving me more reason to come off them, but if its common knowlegde that they take long time to work then its worth sticking with it i guess, thankyou..

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)