Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

A possible replacement for trial-and-error prescribing?

A possible replacement for trial-and-error prescribing?2013-04-03T07:29:07+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Antidepressants A possible replacement for trial-and-error prescribing?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2013/04/02/personalized_prescriptions_reduce_side_effects_increase_efficiency.html

Just saw this in today’s Toronto Star.

There’s a new spit-test, which examines five different genes in order to suggest which meds will work best for that particular patient.

It’s currently in the study phase (7 years long, and anchored by CAMH).  So far, it’s limited to anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.  But it’s looking very promising, and may later be expanded to include meds for other mental issues.

This could make the standard “trial-and-error” process  of finding the right meds, much shorter and much easier.  (Fingers crossed!)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

So we pee in a cup to find out what’s wrong and spit to find out what to take for it?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Robbo

Sign me up.

I’m a professional guinea pig!

:-D~

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

Just today I heard about this doctor, Charles Parker, author of the book, New ADHD Medication Rules: Brain Science & Common Sense.He claims to have advice to reduce trial-and-error medicating.

I have not read this book and for all I know he is full of crap, but judge for yourself:

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)