Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Any studies on vitamins/fish oil

Any studies on vitamins/fish oil2010-08-19T13:24:03+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Alternative Treatments Any studies on vitamins/fish oil

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am very sensitive to medicines, and would like a more natural way to treat this. I have heard that fish oil can help…is there anything else? Obviously lifestyle changes, I am working on that. But I am looking for any kind of research that has been done that is non-pharmicitical….I’m looking for some real proof, not someone selling a “healthfood” product.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

You’re wise to proceed cautiously, especially since you know you’re quite sensitive to medications. But don’t rule them out completely. If you had diabetes or a thyroid condition, you’d take the necessary medications to control them. ADHD is no different.

I take Omega 3-6-9 capsules for brain function and heart health, and I eat properly, exercise, and take Chromium to help with my diabetes. However, though these things help somewhat, they don’t help enough. Without my Concerta, my ADHD symptoms would be much worse. And without my Metformin and Gliclizide, my blood sugar would be dangerously high.

Knowing your sensitivity to medications, any medication you do try should be started at a very low dosage and gradually increased. During this time, keep a journal of the medication, the dosage, how you felt, and anything else that may affect that. For example, did you have a fight with your spouse, or were you under a lot of pressure at work that day? This journal will help you and your doctor find the right treatment for you.

One “natural” thing that helps with just about any medical condition, including ADHD, is exercise. It’s amazing how much better and more focussed you are, after a brisk walk, and it doesn’t cost you a cent!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like house wiring, your neurons are circuits that are insulated which makes the electrical signals go faster. The insulation is made up of free fatty acids. Good insulation = better circuits. Eat good oils = good insulation. Bad oils = leaky circulation. Is it the solution to ADHD? No. But every small thing helps. Exercise, good nutrition, structure, routine, sleep, and, yes, often medications.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Mike

I have a friend who went on a heavy fish diet and ended up with all this mercury in her body. So you have to watch where you get your fish oils. But everywhere I look, they’re saying those Omega 3’s are good. By the way, what is a fatty acid? Sounds weird.

REPORT ABUSE

gracious

I take a fish oil vitamin with the brand name Genuine Health…it’s called Omega 3 Joy. Genuine Health makes a few different formulas with the Omegas in it…..but I have found this one to be the most effective.

That being said, however, I still take Concerta and at this point in my life will not be giving it up anytime soon. :) In my humble opinion, fish oils (especially Omega 3’s) are very beneficial for anyone’s brain. But for it be as effective as the pharmaceuticals……I believe the amounts we take now (about 1200 mgs/day) is likely not nearly enough. If you ever do find your research and an alternative treatment…..please post your info. I’d love to know. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d love to know too what people think the maximum doses for Omega 3 should be. I really don’t know.

There is no evidence showing a comparison of Omega 3 against medications and frankly, I don’t think it is a substitute for ADHD medications.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have tried most of the meds. and supplements. I tried every combination. It totally messed me up. I have found that I have NEVER felt better. I tested for allergies. I am allergic to pretty much everything in the environment. I am on drops. I eat fruits,vegetables, chicken, and turkey. No caffeine or booze. I feel great. I take proboitics, c, cal/mag, a multi every now and then. Exercize is huge. I know some people get better on meds. I believe it is covering up the problem. Too many meds, too convenient,too easy to get them. It is easy to pop a pill, tough to restrict and change your lifestyle.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Dont under sell the meds. I was at 330 lbs when I started to learn about adhd and to day I am down to 280 please dont ask what that is in kgs. any way iam on concerta and with out it i would have all ready quit my job. ihave also started taking fish oil . and sone meds for other things. my point is that i try do my part and then i let the docs do there part and so on . The thing is if you dont whant to follow what the docs tell you to do why go see them . if you dont trust them then why go see them at all.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@buster, if you were suddenly diagnosed with Diabetes, would you refuse to take insulin or Metformin because “all meds are over-prescribed, and just cover up the problem”? If you did that, you’d soon wind up in the hospital, and your life would be greatly shortened.

ADHD is no different. Like diabetes, you will need to make lifestyle changes, and they will help to some extent, but without the meds to control the way your body reacts, you will not be properly treating the problem, and that will seriously affect your quality of life. Over time, you may be able to adjust your lifestyle to the extent that you won’t need the meds any more. But you will need the meds to help you get to that point.

Also, beware of the claims that you are “allergic” to everything. Most of the people doing this “allergy” testing are using long-discredited methods (such as blood-testing), in order to get you to buy their supplements (which do not stand up to proper scientific testing).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi akaroly!

You can get distilled fish oil from ‘The Zone’ website. Their claim is that it has no mercury in it because of the distillation.

We also have had the Omega 3 capsules from Costco.

I don’t know of any studies for ADHD, but what the heck. It’s good for you and a lot better than a teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil!

Yeecchh!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys.

I think o3mega+ joy caplets are the best. The o3mega+ joy also comes in liquid form with an orange flavour that some people claim to be more potent than the capsules. I have taken 4 caplets per day, two in the morning and two in the afternoon, in the past and found them to be beneficial but the problem is that these pills are NOT cheap.

The 4 caplets that I mentioned above is the equivalent of 2 grams of EPA per day since each capsule contains 500mg of EPA. The article at the link below demonstrates that the majority of studies on the benefits of Omega-3 used 1 to 4 grams of EPA per day. I would recommend you read the labels of the products you purchase and find out how much EPA there is per dose and aim between 1 to 4 grams per day.

Omega-3 fatty acids research:

http://www.genuinehealth.com/skin/frontend/default/genhealth/pdf/o3mega+%20joy%20-%20research%2007%2022%2009.pdf

Some info on o3mega+ joy quality and purity:

http://www.genuinehealth.com/skin/frontend/default/genhealth/pdf/GH_fishoil_standardCanadafinal.pdf

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are actually studies out there on the benefits of Fish Oil for ADD patients, I have personally had good results with Lovaza (prescription Fish Oil no worry of mercury poising) it is supposed to be used for triglercides or something along those lines but I got my doctor to prescribe it and the insurance pays for it, I was spending over $1.50 a day for Zone Fish oil (great fish oil by the way) now I only spend $35. I use around 7-9 grams a day, but make sure that you discuss this or any supplementation with your doctor because Fish Oil can thin your blood and might not be safe if combined with other prescription drugs like cumidin (sp?).

There is also a supplement called Phosphatidylserine Complex that is very helpful with memory and brain function (it’s sold @ the Vitamin Shoppe so no supplement companies are involvded). You can google Phosphatidylserine Complex AND ADHD or ADD and you will find information that is helpful! The manager at my local Vitamin Shoppe is very knowledgable and even if you don’t have a Vitamin Shoppe where you live you could call and speak to a store associate (normally the manager is best), they do ship their supplements and their prices are pretty competitive if not better than a lot of the other big vitamin stores around.

Personally I have found the best way to manage my symptoms is to stay away from Gluten, sugar, food dies and a list of other things. There is a book @ my local library titled “Without Ritalin” and it would be a great book for you to read! It is small and doesn’t take much time to read. It pretty much embodies what you are looking for.

Good Luck my friend!

Julie

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The effect size for alteration in diet is .2 (where 1 is the highest). The effect size for psychostimulant medication is 0.75-0.83.

Dietary changes are not a substitution but can be a useful add on.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)