Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Appointment confusion

Appointment confusion2011-12-25T15:55:11+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Appointment confusion

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I went for my first appointment with my doctor about adult ADD I was excited. I was finally taking steps in the right direction to put my life in order. I had set the appointment up one month in advance and had posted it everywhere so I would not forget. Well I did not forget in fact I sat in the waiting room for almost two hours because even with all my notes, calendars and cell phone notices I showed up early…way early. I was so embarrassed that I did not even tell the doctor and I could not look the receptionist in the eye when I set up my followup visit. Anyone else suffer from ignoring your own reminders?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes!

Sometimes I show up way earlier – I think I was about 1 week early for one appointment (can’t remember who with, maybe my doc) and they took pity on me and squeezed me in for a visit (I also missed a gourmet home-cooked dinner with a friend about 2 hours away who called me about 4 pm the day of to ask me where I was? home, of course, we are getting together next weekend, right?).

I am pretty bad about appointments, our dentist calls us to confirm a week beforehand, but the ADHD receptionist knows better, she calls the day before.

Maybe it’s appointment-anxiety? I am wondering if I need to have just ONE place to look for reminders, if the fact that I use post-it notes, memo pads, multiple calendars and alarms means that I don’t pay attention to that one reminder.

In the case of my ADHD psychiatrist, I want to arrive early because he has a great collection of a particular editorial cartoonist that I love and which are no longer available. He has a really cool lounge for patients and their spouses, couch, low lighting, lots of different books and magazines, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I turned up to my pre-Cristmas hair appointment 2 hours late and the place was shut. I spent Christmas looking like a scarecrow – still do, but doesn’t matter now! :|

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Write the time of your appointment & a brief note of what it is, on the side of your non-dominant hand, between the thumb and the wrist. You may lose or forget to look at any other reminders, but you can’t help seeing that one, and you can’t lose it. Unless you do something stupid, like put your hand into a meat-mincer.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Good tip Larynxa. I often do that – when I remember! Problem with the hair appt. was I KNEW it was at 18.30….obviously it wasn’t. Guess when I think I am sure of an appointment I will always check!

I was also late for my first Psych. appointment but that was just unfortunate rather than stupid…..but they called to confirm the time. Guess they get a lot of people who forget.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Any office not calling to confirm an ADHD appointment is just begging for a no show.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)