Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

"But you SEEM so smart!"

"But you SEEM so smart!"2010-04-08T13:30:41+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

blackdog

“But you seem so smart”

“It’s all an illusion”

LOL!!! 😆 Love it.

Also, can’t believe the rudeness. Very strange woman. Why would anyone do something like that?

And I had a forehead smacking moment when I got to the part about dyscalculia. DUH! Why didn’t I see it before? I’m sure I must have read about it at some point but somehow never realized I have it. It all makes perfect sense now.

Of course, when I was in school, they thought I just wasn’t doing my math work because I was lazy.

I have never had an IQ test and don’t really want to. I’d like to maintain my delusion that I really am a genius.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I was hoping this would get resurrected. When I was in the first grade my teachers knew I was “slow”. My mom knew that I was “normal”, and my dad, agreeing with the teachers would argue with my mom, when they thought I couldn’t hear them.

They got me IQ tested, and they were both wrong. So my mom and my dad changed their tunes. From then on out, I was just lazy. Parents are such wonderful and supportive people! I am still trying to unravel the emotional knots they left behind.

I am pretty much a jerk, when people say things like “Did you take your meds today?”

Or “I thought you were smarter than that”

Or “Oh. YOU have ADD? I guess that explains a lot.”

and all of the other casually hurtful things people say.

I like the way you handle it. I don’t do it that nicely or graciously. One of the things I need to work on. To me that’s proof enough, you are a genius.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@shutterbug55 – I know what you mean. There are certain things that just set me off and I will explode even though the other person didn’t really mean it as an insult.

Like being reminded to do something. I know it needs to be done! I just haven’t got to it yet! And anything to do with being late. All it takes is someone looking at their watch. I know, I know I’m late, alright! I’m doing the best I can!  It stresses me out just thinking about it.

I flipped back and forth between slow and smart as a kid.  My grade 1 teacher gave me extra work to keep me busy while the other kids were doing the regular work. But then my grade 2 teacher held me back. Then in grade 4 I had a teacher who thought I was a genius (and used me to embarrass the other kids). Then grade 5, I was back to being stupid again.  The teacher refused to believe that there were no words in the book we were reading that I didn’t know and made me stay after school to go through it and pick out the words I didn’t know and write out the definitions. It didn’t take long since all I did was flip through the pages and pick a bunch of random words and write down definitions without even looking them up.

That year I was tested by a psychologist who determined that I probably had a learning disability and/or emotional disorder. And also that I was reading at a grade 8 level. He made a bunch of recommendations which the school never followed through on and I didn’t even know about until I was in my 20’s and went to get my school records. One of them was to create math activities using something that I was interested in, like animals, to help me improve my math skills.

Though I doubt anything would have helped me to learn math, he was actually right on track for how to teach a kid with ADD. Or any kid, for that matter. The school system should be more flexible and take in to account that everyone is different. There are a lot of potential geniuses out there who will never realize their potential because they don’t fit into the system.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I have seen it written that the public school system essentially is trying to turn out “identically educated” (my quote because I don’t remember what was actually written) students.  In their attempts, they spend time bringing the slow ones up to speed and ignore the gifted, to their detriment,  since the gifted can do the work.  The result being that the gifted “give up” their giftedness by about grade 6,7, or 8 and settle into producing “average” work.

So if the gifted don’t waste their minds with drugs, the school system will do it for them with their educational methods, or lack thereof.  I am sure that in general this is not the fault of the many good teachers out there, but as a result of some group of politicians thinking they know best how to educate and legislate laws and policies counterproductive to the overall educational system as it exists here in the US.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Huh. I never thought of it that way before. I suppose they probably do that here too. I don’t have much experience with the school system. Left it 20 years ago and never looked back. Well, I looked back once, when I reached the edge of the parking lot and turned around, said to myself “I never have to go back there again”, breathed a sigh of relief, then turned and walked away

My nephews being both disabled and gifted at the same time present a unique challenge that even their parents have difficulty figuring out. So I guess I can’t blame the teachers completely.

One easy solution to the problem is mainstreaming. Let the gifted kids assist the teachers in teaching the kids who are slow. That way the slow kids get up to speed, the gifted kids have a challenge to keep them engaged, and the teachers have more time to spend with everyone.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)