Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Closed Captions

Closed Captions2011-10-21T15:34:01+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

munchkin

Hey – Does anyone like closed caption feature on TV? I started using it because I have some hearing loss from playing amplified music, but I think there’s more to it than that. Now I just use it all the time, even when I can turn the volume up loud.

I have trouble keeping my attention on shows – often end up asking – wait, what’s going on?? With the captioning, I have a better chance of catching what’s been said.

Also, sounds that had some meaning in the story – like “dog ominously barking” and stuff like that are written in, and add to the experience what I would normally not notice.

Anyway, I get a lot more out of it with the CC. Thought I would pass that along :)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I started using CC because my wife would always ask for me to mute the commercials. I am used to zoning out during the commercials so I would forget. Anyway, I have CC and sound on when I watch in our garage. As you point out, it can be easier to understand some of what is said by using CC.

Sometimes, I’ll mute, read the CC, and play my concertina while I watch. Perhaps its a manifestation of the HD in ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to have CC on so I could watch tv and not disturb my non-insomniac sleeping partner. I haven’t turned it on with my new tv yet. I might still do that. One of my favorite parts of watching CNN is reading the ticker at the bottom of the page.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have used CC for that purpose a few times. I was surprised to see how much i was missing!

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

Everyone that watches TV with me doesn’t enjoy the CC. For me it helps with focusing. You are listening, reading, and therefore understanding what is going on. One time I got a musical and the CC could not catch up with the singing and acting. A person who was watching with me laughed at the mashed up words trying to catch up with what was happening. It kind of made me feel like this is what I go through constantly. At that time I told the person I ADD and the CC feels like my mind when I am zoning out, but not quite. Then came the response, “But you are so smart. You can come up with so many words when I say only one. You are my living dictionary.”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just posted this on the Hollywood 3D thread……….it has more to do with sound but might be relative here too???

“No, but I do find it hard to hear dialogue on the TV because of all the LOUD background noise they seem to think is arty!!!! It could be just my age and hearing compression but, TV seems to have terribly loud background music, and whatever else they chose to inject. I notice English TV series don’t do that. I guess maybe the English rely on great acting and well written script to suspend disbelief …………..novel concept!!!”

Toofat …. the Redundant

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

We started using it when we had our first baby. She was a screecher. LOL! We also used it when she fell asleep. That way, we could figure out what was going on and not wake her up.

I don’t use it as much now. I find myself focusing more on the words and not on the visual stuff and miss a lot.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

can’t do it – I miss the action attempting to read and understand what I read! So I miss just as much if not more attempting to use CC.

Side effect of ADHD – must read something multiple times, or slowly. Can’t do on action shows – or where visuals have as much meaning, often more, than the spoken word.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)