Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dyscalculia anyone?

Dyscalculia anyone?2011-06-07T01:43:57+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes I was diagnosed in 1st grade with this learning disability it makes life kinda tough but if I need to calculate something I just pull out my cell phone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is an article from the National Center for Learning Disabilities about dyscalculia: http://www.ncld.org/ld-basics/ld-aamp-language/ld-aamp-math/what-is-dyscalculia

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

From my experience of teaching, I think ADHD can sometimes look like dyscalculia because of inattention and memory problems – it’s extremely difficult to do a multi-part sum if you can’t remember what numbers you’re meant to be working with and it’s extremely hard to rote learn things like times tables, formulae etc when it’s hardly an exciting task!

I don’t believe we should get hung up on maths. People today are more likely to carry an electronic device than a pen and paper – so why not just use methods that allow children to gain confidence with this method?

I forget numbers I’m working with, have no spacial awareness at all and have a very weird relationship with time. But I’m finding one thing helpful – I give numbers personalities and I make up stories about them to help me remember. This is mostly useful when I’m trying to remember directions.

Each number 0-9 has a character – 1 is a candle, 2 is a swan etc – things that look like the shape of the number. So if, for example, I have to remember to come off the M1 at junction 24, I will imagine a swan sailing in a yacht made out of wax which is being melted by a candle underneath it.

I also make physical movements and say it out loud when I’m doing a calculation, trying to take a multi-sensory approach because it’s more likely to stay in my head that way.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)