Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Getting really tired of this

Getting really tired of this2012-03-18T01:48:33+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Getting really tired of this

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

ashockley55
    Participant

Update:

I haven’t said anything else about my request, nor have any of the managers. I’m working this week’s schedule as is, and waiting to see the next schedule when it is posted. If that schedule doesn’t address my needs, I’m going to look into the procedure for filing a complaint with the labor authority here in the States.

Thanks so much for your responses and encouragement, and I will update the result!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Today my manager notified me that someone from human resources was coming to talk with us about my disability. I sat across from the both during my shift. I felt very nervous. The woman from human resources had a copy of my letter, and a copy of the informal, hand-written note I had given them a week or so ago. She went over my requests, and then gave me some paperwork to take to my doctor to be filled out with questions about my disability and how it might affect my job performance.

I feel really nervous.

If the doctor answers the questions the wrong way, my job could say that I can’t work there due to my disability because I can’t perform my job. Or, it could look like I can perform my job without any accommodations whatsoever. I didn’t see any quesiton on the paper that gave my doctor room to say that I can perform all the duties of my job, I just can’t work full time.

So, I’m anxious. I hope it works out.

They’ve already cut my schedule so that I don’t have to close or work Monday. I’m hopeful that this is going to work out and that they aren’t just backing me into a corner with this paperwork.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

@ashockley55: good luck. You’ve done all you can, and then some. We’re all rooting for you and I hope that this works out well for you. Jim

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Thanks, Jim! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Good luck ashockley!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m no expert on this but i know that adhd and major depression goes together with most of the patients (must be around %50). What you’re describing is not being able to stand up for yourself and accepting constant bullying in a different way. It’s a sign of major depression. Which is also common with people who have adhd because of certain lacking in building a healthy personality which also leads to “unnoticed” major depression because of the adhd traits:) So i think that you need to talk your psychiatrist about this issue and maybe bring the topic of depression. Good luck :)

Saw your letter after writing this :) But maybe it’s still applicable to someone else :)

(Personal experience and A LOT OF readings about psychology and psychiatry)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great to hear you are making progress!

Sound like your job is taking you seriously now and is starting to go through the right channels! You should be proud of what you have accomplished in standing up for yourself!

In your first post you mentioned your supplementing your disability income (I’m in Canada so process is different) if you got a letter of acceptance for the disability could you not either show this to the woman from human resources as proof?

It sounds to me like they are looking for proof that this falls under the disability heading and that you aren’t just wanting specific days off!

Don’t be freaked out :-) Anxiety is so normal with adhd (I find if I feel like I can control something this causes my anxiety) that I’m sure if you took the paper into your doctor instead of just dropping it off and explained what specifically your challenges with work are, the issue is not that you can’t physically or mentally do your job for short shifts but when your overstimulated by long shifts and continuous days in a row it is too overwhelming and interferes with your mental health. He surely could fill out the paperwork properly if you explained this.

You may want to ask if he could write a letter to go along with the paperwork explaining your limitations in more depth? So that the human resources lady understand you can do your job!

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it works out!

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

Yes, please keep us posted! Crossing fingers over here, M

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi – I think everyone on this site is rooting for you. Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Thanks ya’ll! Not much of an update, but just wanted to let ya’ll know that I made an appointment with my doctor to get the paperwork filled out. I also made an appointment with them asking for an ADD assessment. I actually have some hope about it!

This week, my schedule was much better. They don’t have me scheduled to work as many hours, so that’s great.

Thanks for all the encouragement, ya’ll! I will continue to let you all know how it’s going as it progresses.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Just started reading this thread – amazing Ashockley! I know that jobs are scarce and you can’t just quit and expect to find work elsewhere. At the same time, you can quietly scout other opportunities.

If you could do absolutely any kind of job, what would you choose? Personally, I could see you as a restaurant manager. You are articulate, experienced and you care about people. Just sayin’

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Thanks for inquiring, Bill! And for the compliments. :D If I could have any job in the world, it would be two fold: I would be working as a writer, but also working with other writers to help them produce the best writing possible. So, I would have a day job, as it were, at a publishing company or something like that, but I would also have enough time to do my own writing.

Yep. That would be….*sigh* the absolute best.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

That sounds really positive – I hope they continue to keep your hours at a manageable amount.

I like your dream job. Sound wonderful. Do you go to a writers’ group or anything now?

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Hi Tiddler!

I’m in an MFA program! :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Ashockley, you’re in good company. I wonder how many other writers / amateur writers are in this room. *raises hand*

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)