Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Mashing Potatoes

Mashing Potatoes2012-01-09T16:25:55+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Mashing Potatoes

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Scattybird, along the same lines…

Did you know that, for self-help books to work, you actually have to READ them?

I thought all I had to do was buy them and put them into the bookcase!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Larynxa – indeed I fear you’re correct.

But sadly I think it’s a little more complicated than that. I have a feeling that in addition to reading the books, the information within said books has to be assimilated and then…….acted on.  It is a concept that I am struggling with. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

@kc5jck, thanks for re-starting this thread, what a laugh!

Speaking of microwaves and fancy cat food, I must warn everyone not to heat up Fancy Feast in the microwave. In 12 seconds the “meat”explodes, coating the entire microwave in bits of chicken. (Or beef or tuna, I assume — I don’t plan to repeat the experiment). And then the cat takes one lick and says, “ewwwww, you expect me to eat WARM cat food?” (I told her not to blame me – it was the vet’s idea, and briefly considered calling the vet to tell her how badly her idea turned out. And yes, I removed it from the tin first!) This is fantastic — I have wanted to warn someone about that all evening since it happened!

I have also had the “what do you think about?” conversation with my dear one, and astounded to hear “Nothing”. Not 2 simultaneous songs, each triggered by something that was said earlier, plus plans for tomorrow, plus worries plus “oooh, the shadow cast by that plant is beautiful”. Nope, he gets “nothing”. Strange world, indeed.I probably forget more than most people think during the course of a day. Which can be great fun when it doesn’t interfere with work. (Starting one thing and completing 15 other things!)

The songs are always fun to figure out, and the trigger *usually* make sense. (Like my partner’s puffer for his cough always makes the same sound, like a pitch pipe, which makes me break out into “Can anybody find meeeee, somebody to love” by Queen.) But I just got back from a canoe trip, most of which was spent with “Saturday Night” by Whigfield playing on a continuous loop in my head (“Dee Dee Na Na Na, Saturday night, I feel the air is getting hot, Like you baby” Enjoy the earworm.)

Which makes absolutely no sense to me — a sexy dance song, in a canoe in the wilderness, not even on a Saturday…

***Instant mashed potatoes can be made successfully while camping, while hash browns using real potatoes are infinitely tastier. Couscous is just one big messy mistake.***

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

dithl – I’ll pass your caution about heating cat food in the microwave on to my cat.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Thanks for the warning, @Dithl. It would have wrecked the cocktail party, if the pate had exploded in the microwave!

(Well, the label SAID, “Fancy Feast”, so I thought it was for hors d’oeuvres…)

Never mind.

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

@kc5jck
    @Larynxa

***BREAKING NEWS***

Tonight, the Microwave Cat Food Research & Development group reports that:

1. a single sardine will heat to exploding point after a mere 10 seconds in the microwave.

2. improvements in research methodology have been successful in preventing further damage to lab equipment (I smartened up and put a lid on it!)

3. the cat is completely uninterested in the work of MCF R&D.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

@dithl – you and @carsonky should get together in the kitchen.  She “decorated” the inside of her kitchen with a juicer when she forgot to lock down the top.

http://totallyaddconnect.com/forums/topic/never-ending-add-humor/page/3/

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Ah- Bill’s comment about writing ideas down so you don’t forget is a good one. I should do that right now with all the ideas that are running through my head as I read these posts so that I can remember them when I start to comment.

Now…ah, there’s a note pad. Okay, now what did I do with that pen? I should probably eat something since I haven’t had breakfast yet. Here’s a pen in my purse. I think I want toast. Or do I want cereal? This pen doesn’t work. Where can I find another one? Yes, I want toast. There should be some pens in the drawer in the kitchen. This one doesn’t work either. Okay, I know where my pencils are. Better put the toast on, I need to eat. Now where is that pencil sharpener that I bought? It’s in the bag with the Halloween stuff so probably in the hallway. Nope, not there. Ah, here it is. I heard the toaster pop, better go get my toast. I hope this pencil sharpener works and doesn’t chew the pencils up like they usually do. I hate that. It’s hot in here, should put the fan on. Have to put the bread away. Now where did I put the tag this time? I’ll just tie it in a knot. Okay, now get the toast. Do I have enough coffee left or should I make another cup? No, it’s okay. I’m too cold now, better turn the fan down. I’m thirsty now. I have a bottle of water over there. Is that the mail? I didn’t hear the mailman. Looks like junk.  Now where did I leave that pencil? Okay, now where is the note pad? Now, what was it I wanted to write down? Ah, yes…

Mashed Potatoes

I prefer them with a little butter and cream. But most of the time, for everyday meals, I just use milk and margarine. I grew up with margarine, it’s what we used all the time. But a few years ago when I bought some butter for baking and then didn’t do the baking I started using it for cooking. I especially like to make cream sauces with butter. Much better flavour and texture than with margarine. I love potato cakes but don’t have the patience. I tried making Latkes once. Lots of work and also requires patience when cooking. I always turn the heat up then end up with something that is nice and brown and crispy on the outside and not cooked in the middle.

I am a good cook. And a really bad cook. It depends on what kind of day I am having. I also take a really long time to cook because I keep forgetting things. If I am using a recipe I will have to stop and check it constantly, and then double check one last time after I have put all the ingredients in and pray that if I did get something wrong it can be fixed. And if I have more than one thing to do at the same time I will hyperfocus on one of them and forget the rest. Like if I am sautéing some onions while I peel and chop the veggies, the onions will almost always end up getting burnt. And then if the TV is on I will keep hearing things that will distract me and I’ll wander away to listen to it. And sometimes I’ll stop to look something up, like when I was cooking butternut squash the other night and stopped to look up how to roast butternut squash seeds. (which are delicious btw)

And now I have gone completely off on a tangent and not followed any of the notes I made at all and I’m out of time.

Condensed version: My mind never shuts up. Have always wondered how other people think, if they have as much going on as I do.

Favourite Daydream Topics – LOL I could fill a whole thread with those.

Mind Readers – Scary!!!

Floor Tiles!!! I’m not the only one!?!?!

Empty Mind Disorder – LOL – That is what I have always suspected “normal” people suffer from.

Thought that lack of thought = lack of intelligence. Maybe not.

I always resist the urge to blurt out off topic things, but it hurts. I feel like I’m going to burst because I just really, really, want to talk about it. Sometimes I will try to manipulate the conversation to bring it around to what I want to say.

It takes me hours to get to bed at night, and then anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours to get to sleep after that, even when I’m dead tired. Especially if I was watching/reading something thought provoking, or if I am really upset/anxious over something. I also wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about things and can’t get back to sleep.

I kind of like the Rubik’s Cube analogy. It’s like all the little coloured squares are individual thoughts and they keep twisting and turning and forming different combinations until eventually everything comes together. Until you twist the cube again. Like if mashing potatoes is the white cubes, and listening to the news is the blue cubes, and watching that the onions don’t burn is the the green cubes….well, you get the idea.

And speaking of mashing potatoes… I can concentrate on mashing, but not for long so they are usually lumpy. But the biggest problem for me is remembering that I need to mash the potatoes. Or remembering to cook them in the first place.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)