Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

New to this forum, recently diagnosed (Jan 2011)

New to this forum, recently diagnosed (Jan 2011)2011-03-10T16:21:13+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story New to this forum, recently diagnosed (Jan 2011)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed ADHD-PI back in January at the age of 45. Got to say that it was a life changing event because years of failure, disappointment, financial struggles, and ruined relationships where explained away. I had been getting treated for depression, and though that wasn’t the primary issue (though an ADD related one), the meds I took never really seamed to ‘fix’ anything. I felt better about my stuff, but never got motivated to make changes.

Anyway, In November of last year, I took some silly “Do you have ADD?” test on the internet that gave me a response along the lines of, “Seek medical attention now!”. It sparked me to research ADD, and by the end of November my wife and I where entirely convinced that ADD was the issue that had plagued me all my life. I mean, as I read various books of the topic, I felt that the authors had been stalking me.!

So in December I made an appointment with a Dr. who specialized in Adult ADD, was accessed in January and started Adderall shortly there after.

No looking back. My life has been radically altered. My ability to focus is phenomenal to the point that my wife said that she prefers a depressed but medicated Dave to a happy but inattentive one. My mental acumen (executive functions) are working at a level that I never dreamed of, and I’ve been able to communicate what is actually going on inside my head! This has really helped my career as a comedian.

Not that everything has been rosy. I’m still learning time management, prioritizing, budgeting, parenting, relational skills…But at least I now feel capable of learning those things.

I think the biggest ‘comfort’ in being diagnosed with ADD is that I’m not just a moral failure. When I was in school, they didn’t have ADD. The hyperactive kids where prescribed discipline (beatings), the inattentive ones where shamed. (“You’re Lazy! You’re Stupid!”) I call it shame therapy. But to know that I have a neurobiological condition instead of a moral one has really set me free.

Sorry about the novella here. I’m just pretty excited about the new life before me. I was an old man at the age of 45 who had given up on any hopes and dreams, just bidding my time and praying that I wouldn’t drive my wife away. Now I feel alive, functional, and ready to thrive, not just survive.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)