Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Rough day with my mother (she has F(false)E(evidence)A(appearing)R(real)

Rough day with my mother (she has F(false)E(evidence)A(appearing)R(real)2014-09-17T09:05:21+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! No One Believes Me Rough day with my mother (she has F(false)E(evidence)A(appearing)R(real)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I watched the ADD and loving it special a month and half ago and after visiting my doctor started to take Vyvanse on a trial basis. The change was very dramatic for me. So after a couple weeks I told my Mom about taking this medication. This was hard because I know how scared she is about this type of medication and how convinced she is that it is wrong. But we had what I thought was a positive discussion.

Flash forward a few weeks. After watching my son struggle I talked my doctor and he suggested we try a smaller dose of Vyvanse with my son to see if it would help him as well. So today was his first day on medication. The change was pretty much immediate and positive. I watched my son connect with the world and himself better than ever before. Unfortunately I let my excitement get the better of me and sent an email to my Mom.

Her response was shocking, painful, and enraging. I am a 21 year sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous and my mom has over 40yrs of sobriety herself. So when she told me she shouldn’t be surprised that was turning to drugs again, like I was smoking a joint, really hurt. Her further comments that I was just wanted a controlled zombie son also hurt as that meant she thinks that’s all I am too since I also take medication and is also the furthest thing from the truth as to why I am trying Vyvanse on my son. I don’t want a zombie child who can be controlled at all. I want a son freed from the constraints of ADHD, a son who diesn’t have to spend his childhood feeling different than everyone else and alone. A son who doesn’t have to live with well meaning but hurtful comments from teachers and friends about his behavior and his inability to pay attention. I don’t want a din who ends up going down a similar path of self destruction like I did.

Now I also realize this medication may not be right for him and I also realize it may not help with all his challenges. But at least I am trying and at least I am willing to have an open mind. I just wish my Mother could understand that and overcome her fear and bigotry about all of this.

Well I have spouted enough for one night. Hopefully as she see’s me staying sober and more importantly happy and if this medicine does work for my Son and she see’s him change and blossom, maybe then she will let go of her fear and anger.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)