Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

so embarrassing

so embarrassing2012-12-11T06:19:36+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Dumbest Thing I've Done so embarrassing

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Yay!  Go for it!

One little hint:

You might want to skip your ADD med until *after* your appointment.  Your brain will be stimulated enough without it!

And after the crown has been installed, you can take home the plaster models of your mouth, and use them as candy dishes, to freak out people who come to visit you.   (They are remarkably effective at encouraging guests not to overstay their welcome.)

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

You think I’m kidding about the candy dishes…

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

kc – lmao!

i’m glad that a few laughs were shared….

i still haven’t gone to the dentist, knowing i had the more pressing financial concerns of eight days of hanukah for my kids, followed by my daughter’s 5th bday celebration to plan and pay for.

but while investigating the cost/possibilities of taking care of my dental issues, i did stumble on some info that i had known about but sort of forgot, which is that there are dental schools not too far from us that do work for a fraction of what you pay for services at a private practice. so i’m going to look into that. i had been wearing my night guard when i had to be in public, using the excuse that i had been so stressed, and clenching my teeth so hard i’d been popping my repairs off and cracking my teeth (this is true)….unfortunately, wearing it during waking hours starting tearing up my cheeks……….i really need to get this taken care of soon…..

i don’t want to go back to my regular dentist. ever since the original doctor(who had been highly recommended to me, and was wonderful) sold the practice, it hasn’t been the same. i always get the feeling like they’re trying to sell me things/services that are beneficial only to line the pockets of the owner, not what’s in the best interest of me or my dental concerns.

and i have a history of horrible experiences with a few different dentists….which adds to the procrastination, which is already such an issue with me….

but, larynxa, you do have a way of motivating 😉

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Larynxa – candy dishes! I’d never have thought about that. I’ve never even thought about asking to keep the impressions. But are they big enough….or do you serve up small candy? This amuses me.

Fabulous – have you been to the dentist yet????

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

Okay, @Scattybird and @Larynxa, I did it. Well, okay, I started it. I went to the dental surgeon for my consultation. Took me this long to psych myself up. I get the procedure next week. If I show up. Might barf. Pretty sure I will barf. Think my heart rate was about 200 just getting the consultation. I don’t think I’ll be doing the candy dish trick.

@Rick, you will be happy to know that I asked my dentist to refer me to the best; someone who is a real artist. He didn’t hesitate with his recommendation.

Still might barf.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Yay!!!

Remember:   The anticipation is the worst part, followed by the momentary unpleasantness of the freezing.  After you’re frozen (and don’t hesitate to let the dentist know if you’re not, so he/she can do something about it), it’s just noise.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Fab…that’s fab Fab.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Good job @Fabulous

And just bring a barf bag with ya. That way at least the dentist can put some rubber boots on 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

@Fabulous, I had dental surgery while I was pregnant, so I happen to know they can handle a lot of, shall we say, unpleasantness. Though I bet it won’t be as bad as you anticipate.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

I just updated Larynxa and I want to tell you guys too – I did it! And I didn’t barf!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Harrumble for Fabulous!

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

Thank you. Thank you. I’m here all week.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

LOL, that’s great!

Thank you. Thank you. I’m here all week.

Take a bow 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Galadriel724
    Participant

Don’t be embarrassed- you are taking care of it. I didn’t, and it is resolved now, but had horrific teeth that no doubt prevented me from getting a good job. I am skinny, hyper, and had bad teeth. Usually that = methhead. Unfortunately for me I ended up, due to many procedures started and not finished, lost crowns, and general avoidance of all dentists because I was ashamed to let them see my teeth, needing to either spend about $30,000 to save the 4 teeth that were salvageable, and hook a denture on them (if that even was possible) or have them all pulled and get a full set of dentures. Due to financial constraints, knowledge of my issue with following through, and general fear of dentists, my mom and I discussed it with her dentist and decided to just get em out, and start over. It sucked, more pain than I have had to deal with EVER, but now 8 months later I have a full set of pearly whites that look great. I can eat crunchy foods without worrying about another tooth exploding (happened a lot). I have gained weight and am able to eat healthy again. No caramel of corn on the cob, but my life is easier now.
    And without getting into any XXX detail, my boyfriend gets the benefit of a girlfriend with removable teeth. I think that’s every man’s dream.
    I don’t recommend my path unless it is absolutely necessary, but it was and I’m glad I did it.
    Moral of the story- do what you can when you can. Be realistic and don’t save teeth that are questionable. If I had just had work done on the ones most likely to be fixed and good anchors for a partial denture I would still have something to hook it on to, which would make them less likely to move around and I wouldn’t need what I refer to as tooth bondo to keep them in place.
    The good part- I NEVER HAVE TO FLOSS AGAIN! Plus I have the temporary ones that I wore while I waited for things to settle, and am thinking about getting them made into some freaky looking fangs for halloween.
    I am, btw, only 37, so the whole thing sucks, but I am learning to smile with my whole face again- I couldn’t smile with my mouth open for a long time. AND I can eat ice cream and chew ice ships like a chap with ice cream headache.
    I guess it is all relative… And I did get my dream job that I started 6 days after having them all pulled.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)