Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Still Skeptical

Still Skeptical2011-01-27T18:13:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Still Skeptical

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carrie,

So listening to Bach helps you to reading cool! “I guess great minds do think alike.” I recently found that listening to Bach helps me as well, another composer that I enjoy is Erik Satie especially a piece he called the “three gynoped’edies” or the “three gymnist” for some reason they help me to hyperfocus its great!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Just looked up Erik Satie and that song! WOW! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

If you want a song that will take your imagination for a spin Khachaturian – masquerade waltz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-tIN3LS-4

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carrie!

Khachaturian masquerade waltz is phenomenal I need to be careful or I will spend a fortune on classical music CDs!

K

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

Kazuo, Carrie. My iTunes account thanks you both.

I never knew it was Satie who wrote that. I’ve heard some of part one in some modern music, gosh, who? Al Cooper with BS&T? ELO? Chicago? Emerson Lake and Palmer? Um… cobwebs… cobwebs.

REPORT ABUSE

gracious

You guys rock!!! Never ever before have I felt so completely understood……what a major difference it makes to know that I am not alone in my struggles……and the things that I am afraid to admit are right here on this page!!! :)

I stopped over at a friend’s house tonight on my way home because my hubby was there, and this friend’s mother is someone I know I could never ever be. Not that I wanna be someone else, but I mean…..seriously. She wakes up at 4:00, takes the dogs for walks, cleans her house, makes lunches, and then goes to work. Then, she comes home, cleans again, and I don’t mean clean like what I do with a broom and a dustpan, I mean like “clean” clean….lol. She cooks all these amazing suppers, and she is always offering us food, drinks, whatever……you name it. Plus, her house is so neat and tidy and clean that it just makes me feel even more like…..UGH!!! Why can’t I do that?? Yeah, ok, I know……I work full time and I have 3 kids under the age of 7, and I hate cooking, and I am unorganized and lack the skill of prioritizing…….bet seriiously!!!

Whew…..anyway…..look at me I’ve gone off track……Thanks again everyone!! So glad to be a part of this!!

Always,

g

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

my neighbour is like that gracious- she’s up at 3am, makes lunch for her husband and adult son, is at work from 4am to 1pm, home for lunch and by 2pm is on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor, cleaning kittylitter, making big roast dinners for the menfolk who get home at 4pm, frequently brings ‘leftovers’ (a full roast dinner with gravy and dinner rolls and dessert, covered in foil) over for my bf- cos she knows i won’t cook that stuff for him, she washes her bedlinen and towels every day- her son wears 3 changes of flipping clothes in a day- she does laundry more in one day than i do in 2 weeks!

but its really not a bed of roses behind that facade of perfection- she’s an insomniac who lives on about 25 cans of pepsi a day, and i don’t wanna know how many cigarettes, she has developed diabetes from all the sugar, and she often wakes up at 1am in a panic about whether or not the house is tidy enough for company if someone pops round unannounced, and can’t get back to sleep over it- so ends up scrubbing the floor again in the middle of the night.

the first thing i hear out of her mouth when i open her front door is a panicked “don’t look around, its a total mess!”. at that point i usually stare blankly across the hall at the polished wooden floor and glass tabletop in her immaculate living room, and think about my muddy linoleum, coat closet thats missing a door, stairs marked with torn off chunks of painters tape (the cat had a rather large downward tumble when he was a very small little cat-man, and gets scared if i don’t mark the stair edges- and refuses to walk downstairs without his ‘landing strip lights on’) the contractor pack of skirting/baseboards thats been stacked against the wall in my hall for the past 18 months, and catfur tumbleweeds rolling down the stairs, the fireplace wall thats sans mantle- but has a lovely ‘rustic’ effect made up of partially exposed cement-smeared brickwork and torn lining paper with blue pen doodles of a dog drawn gracing it currently, and say “hmmm”.

its bloody insane! what kind of value must she put on herself to say that she wants to be remembered as ‘always having a spotless house, and being an excellent hostess’, when i suggest she not worry about it so much- there is more to life than floorwax and laundry liquid, and that she’ll send herself to an early grave? i really wouldn’t wanna be remembered with “well, she was neurotic as hell, ran her body into the ground, and keeled over and popped her clogs at 45- but you know, you could always see your knickers reflected in her floor, and thats whats important!” or have “beloved mother, wife, and washerwoman’ carved on my tombstone.

i’d rather be remembered as ‘ she was messy as hell, stark bollard raving mental sometimes, had a stack of faults a mile high and was very much still a ‘work in progress’ , but she didn’t take the small stuff too seriously, and was always good for a laugh, and kind to small furry creatures’ or as people have said about my parents (my mum has either brain damage from a childhood head injury, or ADHD, and my dad is just well…yeah) house ….. “i love going around there, cos it feels like being at home- like i can move a pile of books to put my feet up on the couch, not worry about getting yelled at if i spill my tea, there is never any fuss, and there is always something interesting going on….”.

my mother doesn’t make tea or take peoples coats, she says “i know its a tip in here, the kitchen’s that way, help yourself to anything you fancy and the best route over the rubble is if you climb thataway, don’t put your coat down if you don’t wanna find a cat sleeping on it later, and if you can’t find it again, you’re on your own with that!”… and she has way more people who consider her a friend (and a godsend, completely awesome, ‘not like a mum at all really, more like a mate, only wrinklier”, and so on) than you can shake a stick at- cos she’s nothing but herself. :D

my tidy neighbour is really missing out. and probably giving herself an ulcer. :P

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agnoscet,

You mean Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Emerson Lake & Palmer, and Alice Cooper took inspiration from Satie? I knew Blood Sweat &Tears did because that is where I first came across “Trois Gymnope’dies” but those other artist? I’m intreged this is “to cool!” You gotta love classical music I mean it really does “sooth the savage beast” (ADD?ADHD) don’t you think?

K

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

I couldn’t remember which of those groups did it. Al Cooper (not Alice) was the original lead for Blood Sweat & Tears, later replaced by David Clayton Thomas. I knew Satie’s works were somewhere in that list. Thanks.

My mom buys me collections of classical music now and then. I’ve always got music going on (whether the iPod’s on or not :o). You are right about soothing the ADHD beast. On that note, as you can tell, I can seldom remember who performed what. Opera makes me uneasy, but a good polka is good for the spirits now and then… or Souza!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Gracious!

Yeah thats EXACTLY how I feel too (naturally) hahaha Its is nice to find people who you can relate with, doesnt make you feel so bad about yourself eh?

Kazuo and agnoscet – I find it helps A LOT. The classical music that is. ELO is a good band, my husbands favorite hahaha I really like psy-trance too like Infected Mushroom, lots of different sounds and keeps my mind busy. Same with other bands like Mr.Bungle (VERY experimental), their songs range from jazz to metal all in one song. I love their transitions and how there are many genres in a song. Do you ever put a song on in the car to listen to and then get thinking and miss the whole song?? I do that ALL the time! I have to replay it like 3 times before I remember to LISTEN to it or try to at least hahaha

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

“Do you ever put a song on in the car to listen to and then get thinking and miss the whole song??”

Yes. I also get thinking and a song comes on that I listen to, and miss my exit. A little too often.

My conversations with my children in the car are usually as follows:

CHILD: mmmrmr hmmm mmm mmerf?

ME: Wait, what?

CHILD: Nevermind.

I’m probably fortunate that they inherited my short attention span, or we’d end up out of fuel on some unmarked highway in Wyoming.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes! I do it all the time myself and it is the weirdest feeling isn’t it? I often use classical music for background sounds. In that case I don’t really listen to the music but rather use it as a tool to hyperfocus while I write papers or study. It really is good to know we are not alone…Whew! this would be a VERY lonely place.

K

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

Carrie, Kazuo, here we go…. definitely a full screen and volume experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

agnoscet,

How did you find that thing? It was precious!!! You are not going to believe my latest internet odyssey somehow I ended up watching all sorts of weird YouTube stuff (sure will be glad when I can finally learn how to navagate the internet properly.) Anyway! What the Hey! its the A-D-H-D way!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

hahahaha That was awesome! I LOVE youtube, yes, its very easy to get lost there hahaha

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

Well I can understand that finding out that there is a name for what is going on with you can be both daunting and a relief. I have read somewhere in the neighbourhood of 25000 books so I have never really had a problem with reading. But I am a speed reader and a lot of that requires the skill of active skimming. I procrastinate my time away so I didn’t really do homework, but my marks were okay except in math. Don’t do numbers. I read the pictures in instructions to get a hint of what to do when putting together in projects and then I get them done. If it doesn’t come out well then I go back and reread the instructions to find out what step I skipped over in my haste to finish.

Jen

Loved your last post. I am with your mother. I will never go to my grave wishing that I had cleaned more and I will never be my sister cleaning up the dishes off the table before we are even served. Give it a break. Somewhere in that neighbours background there is bound to be a trauma around cleanliness. Compulsive cleaners are usually Obsessive Compulsive and they are driven to this. It isn’t voluntary any more then our symptoms are. Just think how sad and lonely her life is, and how hard it is on the others in her home, or even visitors who feel inadequate next to her “imperfect” house. When her children move out they will probably either try to emulate her and fail or they will go the exact opposite and she will be unable to visit them and relax.

My home is lived in. We have children and pets and so we got rid of the carpet so that we weren’t forever obsessing over stains. My couch and desk are usually piled with books and papers. But the dishes and counters in the kitchen get washed, and you won’t contract any diseases from my washroom. We wear clean clothes and we eat healthy foods. Beyond that I don’t really care. I live by the rule of good enough and don’t stress too much. And with a couple of hours notice I can have the upstairs tidy enough for company to feel comfortable. I am a good wife, mother, friend and sometimes I can even get my father to admit daughter.

I also have to agree that this is a good website for being supported and supportive. We are all imperfect people and we can all use a helping hand once in a while. We also have all lived so we can give others the benefit of our experiences. The only two sureties in live are death and taxes, and the rest of the time we have to muddle through best we can. But none of us can do it alone. I was watching a study the other day on inmates in prison subjected to long periods of time in solitary confinement. They said that even with the most mentally independent of them that within a few years they begin to break down. They all pace and crave a human touch. Without this they begin to unravel mentally. They begin to be violent and lose control completely of their ability to control their own behaviour. They are begin to degrade and regress to child like behaviours.

This website is like a hand on your shoulder when you feel alone. Someone is making a connection and helping you feel that someone cares what happens to you. Thanks for being that person today.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)