Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?2012-10-21T20:38:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

That’s another bonus of being a Premium Member. You can switch off the ads!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

All the experience I obtained ignoring my teachers in high school had been invaluable in being able to ignore the ads on this site. 😆 Does that qualify as a superpower?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I externalized my ad-ignoring with a browser extension. Have since disabled it for this site, want to make sure that the revenue comes in. The ads here are very tame and non-obtrusive, compared to a lot of sites these days.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes…KC it does!!!! Hahahahahaha….

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

kc – I know what you mean about being able to ignore the ads. I manage to completely ignore them – I have the same superpower as you. I just need to convince my boss next week that being oblivious to what’s popping up is a superpower! :)

BUT on a more serious note I also manage to ignore other stuff on the site in the same way! When I first came here it was the videos that attracted me and now I just go straight to the forum.

I don’t really notice the other stuff anymore – even the announcement of the new-look site hasn’t really registered with me until now. Doh!!

But I like this old site. It and people who frequent it have become my ‘friends’ over the last year and advice I have got has certainly maintained my sanity during the diagnosis/acceptance/understanding journey – and it is a journey. There are people here who have done the same journey at the same time – it’s been great sharing experiences.

So, the launch of the new look site is tomorrow!! :)

Part of me thinks ‘oooh scary’ because this site is nice – like a comfort blanket. The site is cosy and comforting and I don’t notice the frayed edges and the fact that it’s so well used that it will disintegrate when it’s next washed. On saying that, I do remember the frustrations of last year when some of the edges did fray a bit. So I do understand that it needs modifying to keep it live.

BUT having had a sneak preview of the new site I am excited at the thought of everything still being here but with a new ‘shiny’ look. It’ll be like rediscovering an old friend and catching up on stuff that I don’t notice anymore because it’s become like my wallpaper. It’s there but I don’t always notice stuff.

So, the new format means new chances to play and check out the new videos and other stuff that I forget is there. On balance, it should be cool.

So Rick, best of luck with its launch. We will soon get used to it and this old look will seem so dated…..rock on!

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

In case people still have concerns… let me clarify, the site will still be here. Everything you can do, see, and use will be here.

It will look different. Not radically. Stuff is still in the same areas on the pages. But they will look cleaner and be easier to read, easier to follow. And it’s still free. And it will continue to be.

In fact, it almost was going to end. A year ago it was clear we couldn’t sustain the site out of our own pockets. The site could stay as it was, and we would return to making TV shows for a living. Our one employee, Jimi would be let go. If stuff broke we’d hire someone to fix it.

Then we took a poll of our members, and it turned out that some, many actually, wanted more and were fine about paying a little to receive it. The Forums were frustrating. They wanted more experts. Webinars.

You know there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Either we cover the site in ads of dubious nature and never be able to conduct another interview or create any more videos… or we find a way to make it sustainable. As much as we wish things were free, we’re adults, we know it costs time and money to create something good.

So, thus was born the Premium Member level. I originally thought of the name “insiders” because it’s a common title used on other websites. And since I had felt like an outsider most of my life, and so had many of our members, I wanted a place where we felt we belonged, that was ours. Because the world does not yet accept or understand what we’re dealing with. The New York Times, for heaven’s sake, keeps publishing editorials saying it’s bunk. (The general feeling among the experts I’ve talked to about this is that a member of the board had a bad experience around ADHD, or has a child who was diagnosed and went beyond denial to full-attack mode. Sorry, I’m getting side-tracked. But it’s an ongoing story.)

Those who love the site as it is, will continue to enjoy it. Those who want more will be able to access it, and we’ll be able to produce more. Jimi doesn’t have to go get a real job.

So, again, to be clear, if you like TotallyADD it will be here. And it will be here thanks to the sustaining support of the Premium Members. And for those who have joined us for the Premium Member launch, those of you who are the ‘Beta’ members as we get things up and running and debugged, it’s gonna be fun. A work in progress, for sure, but shaped and refined by your feedback on what’s not working, so we can fix it, and your suggestions on what would make it even better so we can create it.

Best

Rick

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

By the way, to Gardener and everyone else who does the same thing, thanks for switching off your ad blocker when you come here. The ads to help cover some of our expenses. My son Nick does the same thing when he goes to online gaming sites he likes

By the way, I don’t know if you noticed, but the kind of ads we are getting is amazing. It started out with erectile dysfunction and systems to beat the lottery odds and other strange stuff, to big ads by major companies. What does it mean? It means our visitors are coming back, they’re staying here for more than 20 seconds, they’re involved, and they’re classy people. (Okay, I’m the exception there.)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)