Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

trouble speaking slowly and clearly…

trouble speaking slowly and clearly…2013-04-06T22:09:19+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work trouble speaking slowly and clearly…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

phoenixmagicgirl

As long as I can remember I’ve always been told my family members that I need to speak slower and clearer. It doesn’t help that I had a speech impediment as a child which I’ve gotten much better at but now I just speak quickly and I mumble my words so its very hard to understand me.  I know that for me my ADD makes me want to say everything all at once hence why I speak so quickly and often jumble up my words. Believe me, it’s frustrating!! This may seem like an illogical question, but other than thinking about what I want to say before I say it does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

My son has this problem as well, for the same reasons. Besides reminders from m, one thing he does is read aloud in a clear voice. Practicing like that can help.

My therapist recommended taking a small breath before speaking to slow down blurting out an ADD-fueled response. I find this can work, although it, too, takes some practice. This is a mindfulness technique and mindfulness practice can help you “stay in the moment” which might give you enough mental space to slow down your verbal pace.

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

Thank you for the suggestions!

REPORT ABUSE

pigmonkey

With out knowing the full extent of how this exhibits I have a few suggestions that helped me learn to slow down with my words.  I do a fair amount of public speaking and this is what I do, and hopefully it will work for you too.

If you are mumbling, I suggest you lift your chest.  I know it sounds weird but it does two things.  One, it makes it so you can breathe and as a general rule you raise your head at the same time making your far more audible. Two it makes you focus on your posture and body so your thought are not so much in your head at the time of speaking,  it let me sort out the thoughts so I dont say two at once, (which happens, and people look at me as if i went insane infront of them)

After people speak count to 2 in your head.  This will slow you down.  because you break your thought process and lets you re think your words.  it doesn’t take long, but I find it helps, it has the added benefit of making it look like you are completely taking in what they say.

Read out loud.  if you are like me you read slowly, which means you speak slowly.  it is practice.

Hope its helpful.

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

Those are very good suggestions, @Pigmonkey.

REPORT ABUSE

Techdog

Wow I thought it was just me, have had a problem with speech all my life stuttering after a few traumatic incidents as a child still at 57 it’s still ongoing. My doctor suggested speech therapy not sure I know my mind is always racing like in panic mode. I thought about hypnosis ?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@Techdog

I don’t know about hypnosis, but I would recommend the speech therapy, if it’s not too expensive. It  does work.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)