Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Reply To: Drugs Abuse and ADHD

Reply To: Drugs Abuse and ADHD2013-10-14T20:42:34+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Co-morbidities/Secondary Disorders Drugs Abuse and ADHD Reply To: Drugs Abuse and ADHD

blackdog

I knew a smoker who definitely had a compulsive addiction. We would be walking down the street and he’d suddenly stop, drop his brief case, and take out his cigarettes. Like as if someone just pushed a button on a remote control. He was also an alcoholic.

My father smoked heavily, about 4 packs a day, when I was growing up. It actually helped to keep me from smoking because I learned early by listening to other people telling him why he should quit. And because one day he left one burning in the ashtray and I decided to try smoking. I think I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. Needless to say, it was not an enjoyable experience.

Medications that increase dopamine are used for smoking cessation so it makes sense that if that works then smokers may have dopamine deficiency. And I can totally see how a smokers brain would be like a brain with ADHD. That would explain my husband.

There are many people who believe that allowing children to drink alcohol at a young age helps to prevent them from over indulging when they get older. The lower rate of alcoholism in countries like Spain is one of the reasons.

REPORT ABUSE