Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Father doesn't believe me

Father doesn't believe me2014-12-07T12:42:13+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Suspect I Am Father doesn't believe me

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

maupinsmason

Hey guys! My name is Mason Maupins, and I’ll tell you a little background story on me. I’m 18 years old high schooler and I have been struggling with focusing since around 3rd to 4th grade. Everything before that seemed fine with my grades (of course it was shapes, colors, naps and picking noses) but when 5th grade hit my grades slowly started to decrease as I moved on in my academical career. I am a senior now and I am in need of desperate help due to the fact I’m not retaining any information, staying up past one o’clock every night so I can retain maybe half of what is on the test. I’m not usually one if those kids that wait to the last minute to study for a test or do it the day the assignment is due. I’ve always kinda did studied every day but every session I come out with nothing. And what I never have noticed is, what if I have an attention deficit disorder?

So the logical thing is to talk to your parents to see if I can get a visit with my doctor to analyze me and maybe make a diagnostic, right? So I spoke to my dad and what he basically told me was he asked his girlfriend that “studied” children mental issues, and he said “she said no (I am about 5 years old at this time) he definitely doesn’t because he can sit through a movie” so being that my dad is closed minded and once he heard something that he doesn’t have to spend money on he agrees and sticks with it. What I’ve found out, is that ADD is more prevalent when we get older isn’t it? I mean I have never been able to finish a sport, if I pick up a hobby like I did about RC planes, building rockets, fishing, hunting, collecting necklaces, etc.  it’s only a matter of a couple weeks that I lose interest and don’t want to do it anymore. When I take tests my mind ALWAYS wonders the room along with my eyes to see everybody engaged. During lectures in my AP classes I can never pay attention as I think of different things like I wonder where she got that shirt? Etc. Back to what my dad was saying, I mentioned to him, ok well can I at least get a doctors analyzation rather than somebody looking up on the internet? He said “no, all they will do is put you on speed, maybe if you eat better, sleep a lot more and finish a couple of things you take on we might go see a doctor.” Of course I’m absolutely blown away that my dad won’t even let me visit my own doctor for help. I told him a couple of things like I’m not looking for street drugs, I’m looking for a diagnostics and some help. But what he basically told me was that his opinion is going to be better than the doctors (with my fathers relationship is extremely poor with never family time, and sometimes I go weeks without saying a word to him. And my mother is in prison) so to get to my main point, is there a way I can see my doctor without my father knowing? And what about the cost of it as well? I know he will be furious once he finds out I went to the doctor when he said not to, but in my opinion I’m not trying to sound like a rebellious kid, but 18 I’m literally an adult and if I feel the need to consult with my doctor I should be able to, and him support me 100% but his view is definitely not with mine. If anybody has questions comments or concerns please ask and answers Is what I’m looking for thank you everybody!

REPORT ABUSE

clowtec

Nice to meet you:) Now it appears that your father has some concerns about the affects that the medication may have on you, especially if addiction runs in your family.  The stimulant medications that he is thinking about do carry that effect on your system. With that said, there are a wide range of other medication that do not contain the ingredient that causes that reaction. What I would suggest, is making an appointment with a therapist for the both of you to attend. This way, she can address his concerns and you can get a professional’s opinion. Remember that your father loves you and is concerned otherwise, what would he care what you ingest? The best thing to do is to stay on the same page because whatever the diagnosis or treatment options you get, you are going to need all the support you can from friends and family because treatment doesn’t end with a prescription. It’s a whole new lifestyle that you are going to need to adjust to in order for you to progress successfully. We are here to support you and thank you for talking about it. If ever you need to talk some more, just ring my bell and I will be here:) Good Luck

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)