Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Does anyone else find the holidays more challenging?

Does anyone else find the holidays more challenging?2017-12-07T05:00:28+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Does anyone else find the holidays more challenging?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

When it comes to the holidays I find it difficult to plan ahead and usually end up being one of those guys who buys gifts at the last minute and often forgets what to buy when he does remember to go. I haven’t been the greatest and on one occasion even forgot until it was too late and ended up with nothing for my wife to open from me on Christmas day. While she didn’t divorce me then it has always been a source of tension. This year, with the help of meds, I have already finished shopping and managed to get everything on my list and more! It was the first time that I actually Enjoyed doing it. While these meds aren’t perfect I have noticed a better ability to plan into the future. Did/does anyone else have similar difficulties around the holidays?

Merry Christmas

That Guy With ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I am constantly out of sync with the rest of the world. What I do, is suspend impulse control for a little bit, and get gifts for people, when I am thinking about them. Wrap them. Announce “Merry Christmas”, “Happy Birthday”, or “Happy Anniversary”. Which ever one is closest. They know by now, chapter and verse about my affliction(s) and we all have fun with it.

Otherwise known as “Bending the world to fit you”

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by shutterbug55.
    REPORT ABUSE

ladyviking48
    Participant

It sounds like we are not alone in our struggles to get through the holiday storm.The holidays sometimes feel like a whirlwind of happy (when your ahead of the game shopping,visiting, planning and preparing);only to realize that its only now 5 days til the big day whatever that is. In my life we’re a family of 4 people with Adhd: myself husband and 2 kids & it can be overwhelming.To make things less stressful weve taken on the new motto that “Less Is Less” we have cut back on trying to make every single work,family& friends function and cut back on buying endless gifts for people who have everything and would really prefer spending time together.This was a much better holiday for us.We got to the gathegings we could manage while still having our bearings.we stayed as long as we were still having fun.we played more games and visited more. We scaled back on gifts and brought a bunch of necessities to the homeless shelter.More enjoyment was had by not buying into the whole commercial Christmas BS. We chose to put less on our plates mentally so we could enjoy our family time. This is my first post.It’s nice to hear about everyone elses journey.Best wishes to everyone!

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Shutterbug55, it sounds like you have some very understanding friends! That’s great!
    Ladyviking48, you have gone in the direction my family has started to stear towards. I think you are right when you say less is less. Less stress and worry and panic. My wife and I only went to one function this Christmas and spent an enjoyable Christmas eve/day with the immediate family. It was one of the most relaxing holidays ever. My wife and I took that same tact last summer when we decided to go camping on our vacation with absolutely no agenda to do or see anything. While we did go and see a few sites when we got there we had no pressure to take everything in. Again a most relaxing time.

Regards

Richard

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)