Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Favorite Hobbies

Favorite Hobbies2018-03-04T18:53:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Favorite Hobbies

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

eashline92
    Participant

What are your favorite hobbies as a person with ADHD? Believe it not, I love to read! I tend to hyper focus on a lot things I am interested in and reading happens to be one of the. I also love music, movies, spending time with family and friends.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Hi eashline92,

As a kid I loved building with Lego. Now I love learning new things. With my ADHD brain switching topics all the time I find myself researching all kinds of things. Whatever I find interesting. Sometimes it lasts a few hours and sometimes months. I have been on and off the Tiny Homes thing for many years now. I doubt that I will ever build one but I love learning about them and designing my own.

Richard
    AKA That Guy With ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

eashline92
    Participant

Hi Richard. My name is Emilee. As a kid my favorite hobbies were running around outside, riding four wheelers and dirt bikes. I was always hyperactive lol. I hear you when it comes to how long my hobbies last. I gp back and forth between going on a reading frenzy or TV marathons.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Hi Emilee,

So you’re a bit of an adrenaline junkie! πŸ™‚ I was always physically active as a kid too. I wasn’t much into organized sports although I did play soccer for a few years. I would play almost anything outdoors (Baseball, soccer, football, tennis, swimming etc.) I’m not much of a reader as I can’t focus for more than 10-15 minutes at a time and I read very slowly. It’s part of my ADHD I guess. That and my Dyslexia. I can, however, stay focused on shows especially if I can binge watch them on YouTube, Netflix etc. I do find it hard to break away from that and do real work. It’s a bit of a guilty pleasure. πŸ™‚

Regards

Richard
    AKA That Guy With ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I found a new hobby, last June, and it’s a surprisingly soothing, mesmerizing one. It’s calligraphy, with antique flexible-nib fountain pens.

My handwriting is scribble-scratch, and I got D’s and E’s for it in school. I eventually figured out it’s because my hand can’t keep up with my brain. But calligraphy is more like drawing. It makes me slow right down, and carefully form each letter. It’s mesmerizing, watching the tines of a flex-nib, flexing in and out, as thin & thick lines of colour flow from them. And I do mean COLOUR.

Bottled ink comes in every colour and shade you can imagine. Some inks contain glitter. Others are super-saturated with dyes that crystallize on the paper as they dry, producing a metallic sheen. Some inks have both. Depending on the combination of the pen, the ink, and the paper, you can get different results. It’s a combination of artwork, mindfulness, and science experiment!

And history, when you find a new antique pen to bring back to life. My youngest vintage pen is my dad’s Parker 61 capillary-filler, that he used to write his exams at Waterloo & U of T, in the late 50s-early 60s. My oldest is a solid-gold, hand-engraved Wahl from 1919. Imagine that! 99-year-old technology, that still works just as well as it did when it was new, and all it needed was a new rubber ink-sac!

And something else…

Now that I use my antique fountain pens (without flexing) for my everyday writing, it’s gotten a lot better.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

That sounds fantastic Larynxa,
    It’s too bad we can’t post pictures in our posts. I’d love to see what you’ve done. Sounds like you’ve found a great way to practice mindfulness!

Thanks for sharing.

Richard
    AKA That Guy with ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Here’s a link to photos of some of my calligraphy practice and experiments with sheening inks on Tomoe River paper.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jtQGAv7WjEFl0XXf2

There’s also a photo of my test-tube rack of samples. We in the fountain pen community often swap sample-vials of ink, because a full bottle can be quite expensive, and takes a long time to use up. A 5 ml. sample is enough for a couple of fills, to see if you like it.

I’ve used inks from Australia, the Netherlands, Poland, England, France, Germany, and Japan, as well as American and Canadian, and vintage inks—including one that’s 80 years old.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My other hobby is collecting tiaras. (Sparkly!)

I have almost 250 of them, plus some replica regalia. Most are replicas of actual historical tiaras. I hand-coloured the stones in some of them, to match the originals. Others, I had to structurally alter.

I need to learn how to do jewellery-soldering with a blowtorch, so I can start making my own tiaras.

https://m.facebook.com/RosebankTiaras/

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

That looks great Larynxa,

I had no idea there was such a large variety of colours (and I realize that those are only a small sample of what must be available). You have nice penmanship too! Keep up the great work. I imagine that you can get quite engrossed in your work. I’m jealous!

Thanks for sharing.

Richard
    AKA That Guy with ADHD

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Thanks, Richard!

Funny you should use the word “engrossed”. The style of flowing Victorian writing I use is called Engrosser’s Script!

REPORT ABUSE

andreaaaaaah
    Participant

Soo many hobbies.. well I love to try everything and then find out which one I would realistically do again and enough of to make it a real hobby.. dremeling in wood, machine sewing, paper flowers, gardening, so many other artsy hand made crafty things are regular hobbies of mine.

REPORT ABUSE

bareera
    Participant

My favorite hobbies are playing cricket, using mobile and play ludo and reading informative books.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Hey Bareera,
    How did you get your Avatar to show up? I haven’t been able to figure that out.

Richard

REPORT ABUSE

chris80hd
    Participant

I love to build computers, and program (Python, C# etc..)

I find it incredibly soothing to build applications. The only downfall to it is that there is a lot of redundancy involved, and for those times I have to fight through my narcoleptic tendencies until I get back to the fun parts πŸ™‚

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

I do a bit of programming myself but not likely to the extent that you are doing. I’m working on a project to get my Arduino to drive my old Hearoid robot. I like projects like this but I seem to go in spurts where I’m into it and then I’m into something else. If I can’t understand something I tend to get frustrated put it aside for a while. I have enough parts to build a milling machine but haven’t completed it. They have been with me for over 10 years. Some day….! πŸ™‚

Hearoid Robot

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)