Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I think I may have been misdiagnosed?

I think I may have been misdiagnosed?2019-02-01T14:42:08+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? I think I may have been misdiagnosed?

Viewing 0 posts

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

kipekeefox
    Participant

Hello, I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 10 years old, and ADHD seemingly runs in my family (my brother and cousin have it) but I think I may have been misdiagnosed?
    I read the “23 signs you don’t have ADHD” article on here, and even though it was a joke, I actually relate to most of them??
    And when I read how other people struggle with their own inattentive ADD, I don’t relate to them at all. I dont relate to how they say it feels their mind is on overdrive, or they can’t focus and her things done even if they try.
    I use to have problems with paying attention when I was little, but now I dont have a problem at all. I didn’t even ever need to take medication for it. Actually, I think my “inattentiveness” was more due to me being more interested in drawing pictures instead of classwork (which is the sign if a disobedient kid, not ADD) or struggling with processing, because I was diagnosed with aspergers as well (which I’m also starting to doubt I have.)
    I don’t struggle with paying attention to things or getting things done outside of the occasional forgetfulness or procrastination. I dont recognize any of the symptoms in myself, at all. My ADD only ever comes up as an excuse- it never really truly interferes with my life.
    I’ve brought this up to my parents (I’m still a minor) and they think I’m just trying to invalidate my problems. I’m not though.
    I’m considering a re-evaluation as ADHD is apparently misdiagnosed a lot. Any thoughts?

REPORT ABUSE

dylanrb1997
    Participant

how old are you? from what i know quite a few people diagnosed in childhood go on to struggle in some areas in adulthood, but not all, prehaps the diagnosis is not longer applicable. perhaps you do have it but the symptoms are minimal? are the symptoms worse when you are stressed? and you say also that you doubt you have aspergers, again perhaps you are on the higher functioning end where a label would seem almost redundant if you are not struggling.
    if i were you i would just focus on what is important to you right now and come back to this when you are older, i mean if it isnt effecting alot currently then why bother getting a re-evaluation now, i mean sure it is a label to have but you could always follow up with “but i’ve found i dont struggle with many / any of the symptoms anymore, and i plan to get re-evaluated” which would maybe make you feel better should you have to explain any diagnoses you have to anyone.
    also what problems do you think are your parents trying to invalidate? you may have support at the moment, i would wait until you find yourself in a situation where you have to be more self sufficient and then see how you feel about it, things may be very different then.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)