Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Help! Newly Diagnosed and having problems at work

Help! Newly Diagnosed and having problems at work2019-08-18T00:18:13+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Other Help! Newly Diagnosed and having problems at work

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Debbie
    Participant

I’m 52 years old and was recently diagnosed. I’ve tried every dose of Vyvanse and none of it worked. I’m now on 30 mg ER Adderall and it seems to be helping. I have worked at the same company for 24+ years – doing my current for 10+. I am a procrastinate then panic person. last month my office was moved from a quiet hallway to directly across from the copier/printer. I honestly never truly realized just how bad my focus was until they moved my office. I missed a deadline and was written up. in the 24+ years, I’ve NEVER been written up so I was extremely upset. I only missed the deadline by 1 day (and it was only to the feds – haha). my question is, would you respond to being written up by explaining your diagnosis and the office placement? my friends at work tell me that I shouldn’t just let this go. Help! I’m really not sure what to do. if I give it much thought, I begin to break down and cry all over again.

REPORT ABUSE

eho123
    Participant

Hi Debbie,
    I am so sorry you are going through this. Are you in California? I believe that ADHD is considered a disability in Ca and your employer is obligated to accommodate you. You should consult an employment attorney in your state to find out what your rights are. They usually give a consult for free. I can recommend an attorney in Ca if you want.
    Best Wishes, eho

REPORT ABUSE

diamondr
    Participant

Debbie,

Bless your heart! I truly know what you are experiencing in this angst with your long time employer! Sigh. When I read your post, I wanted to reply immediately but knew I needed to sleep on it…IF I remembered you the next day, then I would reply with a fresh mind. Next day: Oh, that lady!! I MUST write her! Having my 2nd cup of coffee warmed, having taken my meds, then found the coffee I lost, I am ready to offer a serious consideration for you in the next few days and months. I just turned 56, am ADHD w/Innattentive Presentation…diagnosed ADHD only 4 years ago.

No doubt a lot more has transpired in the almost couple weeks since you’ve posted! Honestly I can only offer a good news/bad news scenario…praying my experience does NOT discourage. I 150 percent know why you feel the shock of their reprimand. Your coworkers’ advice came because they love you! Not only that, but they like and most likely admire you. People who have worked together as many years as y’all have become family. So consider that to fight the write-up and feelings of injustice is up to your stamina, time to invest in the fight and then your future there with this specific employer. Please know that I encourage you to challenge them ONLY IF you have that kind of strength. I did fight and don’t! For me, NONE of the fight/challenge was worth it in the end!

You may not have the stamina either but possibly, like me, didn’t know that you didn’t so here’s what I encourage you to REALLY do this year. Look 5-15 years ahead. You are young, and 15 years in a new gig or even 2 more new gigs is PLENTY to continue with those retirement savings. Say you have 15 years more to work. As your cool, more mature, wise woman self, maybe kids are older?, coming upon empty nest? …you are/have already/or will be entering a liberating AND most challenging period of life—-ugghh, hard to even say it, that ole “M” word—-cough, choke…menopause! I have had NON-ADHD women say that menopause is a bear. Couple it with ADHD, and it’s now on steroids…again, though liberating! There were times when my road rage (in control now) chasing some punk could have taken me to jail, or worse, got the poor thing or me killed! Why in the heck would I bring menopause up? Because, my dear, not too many of us ADHDers stay with one employer as long as you! …and YOU are to be admired! Consider though that after this write-up, your angst will only double, then TRIPLE….is it time to move on? No, NOT with the anger that you were corrected after decades of dedication and awesome work and REALLY? a write-up after only one day?! But is it time to move on for YOU, the skills you offer and a change? You deserve a change! “But my retirement fund, my peeps…” whatever, it will work out should you decide to move forward, and this way, you can focus on an upbeat, positive outlook instead of their nonsense. You stay? My experience is that their (the employer) challenges, coupled with your life changes are going to exasperate, accelerate, make you cry, keep you up at night, drive your friends and family nuts because we tend to obsess…only to be sleep deprived, working as hard as EVER and wham—-WHAT? they upgrade your write-up into a probation!!!??? Bottom line, to them, it is business. No time for your ADHD despite your years of dedication! I don’t recommend telling them about your ADHD. MAYBE even take my recommendation a step further and CHANGE your career altogether?? Go further in time…change it 2 or 3 more times this next 15 years! The ADHD brain is boosted learning new skills and developing even more coworkers. Trust me, the money you are making now and the “security” a long time employer provides is NOT worth it! It isn’t! Consider a complete change, girl! Talk to family, doctor, friends but it is time to move on, my friend! Best wishes for your success!

REPORT ABUSE

timkuk
    Participant

Hi Debbie, this resonates really strongly with me, so I feel for you and wish you all the best with your journey.

I have been working as an engineer for about 34 years and while I’ve never been a star performer, I’ve always got by and contributed to every team I’ve ever worked on.

Unfortunately, whilst working for my last employer and after nearly two successful years, I produced two poor pieces of work and although it didn’t put the project at risk at all, I was challenged about the quality of my work and the company made a huge deal of it. One of my superiors was rude, obnoxious and absolutely going for me. I was just sat there not knowing how the hell this was happening, in total confusion and listening to this superior berate and belittle me.

That event made me look at myself and realise that actually what ever was going on was also effecting my home life too. Whilst I was seeking medical advice, of which the company was aware and their doctors had all the same information as my doctor, they put me on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) which I was deemed to fail and then put me through a disciplinary and a second PIP knowing that my cognitive impairment would mean that I was incapable of improving.

The stress and anxiety that this caused made things much worse of course and made me feel terrible. I ended up seeking and using legal support so i strongly suggest you do the same. Don’t be bullied or intimidated and fight for the discrimination that you are being subjected too. It’s truly shocking what a company is prepared to do and they certainly do not support you.

Good luck with your journey, things will get better.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)