Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

struggling with ADD / sluggish cognitive tempo STC I feel useless

struggling with ADD / sluggish cognitive tempo STC I feel useless2019-10-26T21:25:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey struggling with ADD / sluggish cognitive tempo STC I feel useless

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rk2019
    Participant

Hi everyone,

This is my first time writing in the forum hopefully I have done correctly.
    I am hoping to seek advice of SCT ADD peoples experience how you cope and how I can support my partner through this because at the moment I feel like I’m useless and can’t do anything to help no one to reach out to. Feel lost.

My partner over the years has explained his memory is poor and and struggles to communicate in big groups I never thought much of it and we never discussed it much.
    Recently he went to a meeting in a group and came back frustrated and upset and he broke down and explained that he struggles to communicate what he wants to say, when other people talk he has to focus on each person and the response is hard to give as he can’t focus and loses track on what is being said. I have never seen him so upset it broke my heart he feels like he has not achieved anything. He suspected he something was wrong just did not know what. From what he described I suspected ADD he looked up Berkeley and his description of SCT was all of what he struggles with however knowing that there is nothing there to help has really made him feel down, cry and quiet and deflated. He is continuously searching for a cure and doing anything and everything to make himself better such as eating better etc. He has not been diagnosed or seeked help however we will do so when he is ready to via seeing the doctor. I worry about him. He feels like he has no future nothing to give it’s so hard to hear and see him like this. I have been looking up for help and support here in the uk and not much is out there. This is my first step at seeking advice / peoples experience etc. If anyone could offer me advice what I can do to help him, because I feel like I’m losing him.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

rjoyd
    Participant

Good Afternoon rk2019,

I think that it’s so wonderful that you want to help your partner.
    From my experience you’re a rarity, because people typically don’t understand.

I have been diagnosed with Inattentive type ADHD and I have the symptoms of SCT. I have continuously been searching for ways to help myself… and I have to say that it can be really daunting.

Many doctors will probably try to diagnose him with just depression and/or just anxiety as they did with me (ADHD/ADD, depression and anxiety can be comorbid)… but a good mental health professional/health professional will be thorough.

I’m not a medical professional, but in my opinion your partner should definitely get evaluated by a psychologist or a neuro psychologist with experience with ADHD for inattentive type ADD because as far as I know Sluggish Cognitive Tempo isn’t recognized as an official diagnosis. The psychologist that I went through was recommended by my college… so maybe you could find someone through a college source… or something like that.

He should then probably try to get medicated, but if he wants to try more “natural” methods he has options he can try there as well. I’ve found a combination of things together have been more helpful than just one thing or another alone… stimulant medication (low dose Adderall xr works best for me personally), a healthy high protein low sugar diet, exercise, and supplements like high dose omega 3 fish oil (I try to get at least 1000 mg of omega 3 in a supplement and add dietary additions like chia/flaxseed and such), l-tyrosine and soy free phosphetylserine. Perhaps he could try the diet, exercise, and supplement approach first… just some thoughts… 🙂

I wish you and your partner much good luck

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)