Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall and it's effects on exercising?

Adderall and it's effects on exercising?2009-12-27T16:16:38+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall and it's effects on exercising?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

While i have been on meds for a long time i have only started a regular exercise regime in the last year.

I am wondering if anyone has any info on the effects Adderall has on the heart rate and what this means for finding and staying within my target heart rate.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been mainly doing outdoor walking-not intentionally measuring heart rate-and haven’t noticed that it is off balance. There hasn’t been any racing, or what feels like accelerated, so I don’t know.

I haven’t asked this of my doctor, but that might be the way to go with it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Woody,

The GP that proscribes my Adderall does not know enough about the side effect of it to be able to offer much help in this. I have done a lot of research already and it seems the consensus is that it raises your heart rate as much as 20 beats per minute or as much as 15%.

i am hoping someone here may have personal experience for me.

Thanks for sharing yours. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Physiologically, it will increase both heart rate and blood pressure. However, interestingly, in some patients, they will notice a decrease in HR and BP because of stress reduction because their ADHD is being managed.

If you have specific risk factors related to conduction problems (e.g. family history, your own history of conduction difficulties, abnormal structure to your heart etc.), then seek out your doctor’s advice and get your CV system checked out.

And exercise…….unless you are a competitive athlete, don’t worry.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found Ritalin had the effect of increasing my awareness of my heart and breathing rate. the increased awareness has at times led me to think they were up significantly, when on counting they were not.

Not sure if this is typical or not…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t heard that that is specific to methylphenidate (Ritalin) but I will ask around.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

adderall decreased both in me and i take 10 mg twice a day. my heart rate without medicine stayed around 93-117 and with adderall it is around 70-80….my blood pressure was around 120/80 without adderall and one time even got up to 130/90 pre-hypertension even with excercise bc of stress and after adderall it just was taken teh other day and was 107/63..and thats with frequent workouts, eating health, and medication…and i feel fine :) doing great

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)