Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Confused about meds

Confused about meds2010-02-02T16:42:55+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Confused about meds

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys, I’m new. I have been recently diagnosed by an instructor in one of my mental health courses as being ADHD. After some more reading on here about others, I’ve self diagnosed myself with dysgraphia, but I’ve always suffered from depression, had a stutter when I was younger and was diagnosed as being dyslexic in grade 2.

Had all the classic problems growing up and only made it to grade 10 in high school. In and out of trouble most of my young life. I’ve always self medicated with marijauna, and never really knew why. I was never out ot get high, just slow my mind down.

My problem now is that since becoming a mom 2.5yrs ago I no longer self medicate and my ADHD is unreal. Enough so that people around me are asking me if I’m ADHD. That’s how I was diagnosed by my instructor a year ago. I’d only been in his class a few weeks when he asked my if I’m taking anything for my ADHD. Everything fell into place.

So my problem now is I’m afraid to take meds, afraid to smoke pot (bad mommy), and am nearly beside myself some days. I’ve developed some wonderful coping mechanisms.. it’s the racing, I can’t stop. At night I take melatonin to help me sleep, it’s th eonly way I can turn my mind off. During the day though I’m at a loss.

I don’t want to be left feeling “high”. In the past I have abused cocaine and am afraid that there may be a similarity between that and Ritalin or Adderol.

Any advice?

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

personally i’ve not ever used cocaine, but i have tried to self-medicate with “herbal refreshments”, as i like to call them. and no you’re not a bad mommy, just human.

i don’t think that you will feel as though you are “high”, more so that you “aware”. you may describe it as a “high” feeling, only b/c that’s what we’ve known (from the herbs), but you’re not “stupid high”, you are very aware of what is going on around you and you can piece together all your random thoughts that were so scattered before….. so, yeah i would change it to being aware (b/c you feel calm, but can carry on with life). with that, i leave you with this note…. get on meds.

if you can get on meds. i recommend adderall, but only b/c in the past ritalin didn’t work for me and i had given up all hope of finding a med (12 years of denial). it wasn’t until recently that i HAD to make a change, not only for me.. but for my kids and my marriage, that i went in search of a doc to help me and he prescribed adderall. HUGE difference!

go to my “adderall questions” thread under “medications” forum. it will answer some things that are probably plotting in your head. also, there is the “life after starting treatment” thread, that mannyc79 started in the “ask an expert” forum. he also had concerns about abuse and addiction.

hope this helps. you will be able to cope…. i promise… if you get past the fear of getting on meds and move forward in giving it a chance. i’d say you’re a step ahead by realizing that you “have a problem”. when i was on ritalin in the past i used it to get thin, unhealthily thin. i was skeptical about starting the adderall, b/c i thought i would follow the same behaviors (since it’s just easy to fall into that, but what i hadn’t thought of was that now i’m AWARE). i’m aware that i had that problem in doing that. i’m aware of what damage that type of behavior does to my body. and now i’m aware of how (if i damage my body like that again) it will, in turn, affect my kids to see me that way. i am aware of the responsibility i have for myself and my family now… and i have that power to make the right decision in every aspect. and i know you do, too!

go face your fears and get on with your life… for the better! :D

good luck! we’re here if you need us.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I’ll go check out the other threads. With having an addictive personality drugs scare me..lol

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you had asthma would you hesitate to go on a bronchodilator? Probably not. You would feel better. If you said yes to the bronchodilator, then you should say yes to medications for ADHD. You know both go to the brain. Heck, caffeine goes to the brain too but you drink your coffee because no one says anything bad about it. Really? No one says anything bad about Tylenol because you can get it over the counter so it must be safe. Really?

a) which medication can cause irregular heart beats—-caffeine

b) which medication can blow out your liver and you will die a nasty death

tylenol.

c) heck bronchodilators can make you so hyper people will think you have ADHD………….

Go figure.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My mom has the same argument against seeking diagnosis and treatment of anxiety, ADHD, depression, etc. For years, she’s said, “I’m taking so many medications already, for high blood pressure, cholesterol… I don’t want to take anything else.”

My answer was always, “If you found out you had diabetes, would you refuse to take medicine for that, because you’re already taking enough medications for other things?”

A few years ago, she was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, and has been taking Metformin ever since, without argument. But she still insists she doesn’t want to consider any medications for mental conditions.

At least she’s finally said that she thinks she has ADHD. Now, if only we can get her to get a formal diagnosis and seek treatment.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)