Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: Life after starting treatment…

Re: Life after starting treatment…2010-02-03T18:19:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Life after starting treatment… Re: Life after starting treatment…

purlgurl

I’m sorry that it’s not working out for you, mannyc79. I kind of “lucked out” in the drug lottery – while waiting to see a psychiatrist for confirmation of an ADHD diagnosis, my family doctor tried me on Ritalin SR, and it happened to work for me *really* well.

I have now tried Concerta and Biphentin (to see if I would be able to take 1 pill/day instead of 3), and in both cases, they did *not* work. I never realized how much of a “mess” I probably was before – when I was on C/B, I had trouble paying attention in lectures, trouble remembering household chores, trouble getting up in the morning, etc. However, I do view it as a positive that in those cases I *recognized* that I was turning into a mess, and took steps to correct it. My meds now are SR 20mgx3/day, and I am also on Wellbutrin for longstanding depression (along with Vitamin D, Omega 3-6-9, and multivitamin supplements) – in the spring (once my semester is over), we may try to replace the WB with Strattera, but if that doesn’t work out, I’m happy to stick with my current meds. I should note that I have not experienced any episodes of depression since the summer (6ish months depression-free is a record for “me ages 16-28”).

Regarding the side effects, I noticed that I had a very dry mouth when I first started Ritalin – several months in, that has pretty much gone away. I also noticed some appetite suppression – my appetite is coming closer to “normal” (normal for me), but sometimes I’m not hungry when I think I *should* be, or I’m full faster. Since I tend to pack on pounds, especially in the winter, I view this as a bit of a plus now :) – it was just problematic when I first started, and had a few low blood sugar cranky/ill episodes because I hadn’t eaten enough during the day.

All this is by way of saying that it’s entirely possible that the Adderall doesn’t work with your particular physiology. Don’t give up! There are plenty of options to try! I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

REPORT ABUSE