Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass

Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass2010-02-02T20:05:53+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass

Anonymous
Inactive

briochick, I found that the hospitality industry held my interest for awhile when I was younger. Now the money isn’t over the moon great but there are so many different things happening and it has a very vibrant culture to it. I’m not sure I’d recommend it for anyone over say 25 if you have large bills (mortgage, car, etc) but it can be rewarding in that you’re working with different people and personality is encouraged.

I can tell you that a cubicle job is likely the WORST thing you could do with ADD. Usually, those types of job require that you stay on the rails so to speak and never deviate from the status quo. In other words, the same boring crap every day, every hour, every minute. Not my idea of fun and certainly not inspiring to anyone with even the slightest modicum of creativity.

Apparently, acting is supposed to be an incredibly rewarding career choice for us. Quite a few notable actors are ADHD/ADD from what I’ve heard. I assume it allows us the creative freedom and the variance we crave – after all, you’re ‘playing make-believe’ essentially and have a different role each time. The only trouble with acting though is that in order to make any money at it, you need to really know people in the biz or already be established. I tried doing extra work once and although the waiting around was a bit difficult at times (I waited 10 hours once for a 30 second scene), the people you meet are quite interesting and it is quite a fascinating industry. Doesn’t pay well either at about $12 an hour.

I myself, am in sales. Do I love it? Meh. Not always. I’d much rather be a teacher (another good one for us apparently) or travel the world experimenting with food, but it pays well and I know it like the back of my hand. it also gives me a chance to meet new people each day and add my personality to the job but having to be accountable to performance, targets, etc is a bit of a drag.

I was told by my therapist that there’s a book called “What Colour Is Your Parachute” or something like that where it determines through various questions what career would be best suited to your personality type. Worth looking into at least.

REPORT ABUSE