Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: Ampakine CX1739? over the counter nootropics?

Re: Ampakine CX1739? over the counter nootropics?2010-12-04T23:47:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Ampakine CX1739? over the counter nootropics? Re: Ampakine CX1739? over the counter nootropics?

Anonymous
Inactive

That’s a good question.

After so many years of having ADHD and major depressive disorder, all kinds of other comorbid conditions have been added on. I’ve been experimenting with all kinds of approaches to all the problems I have and would like to fix. Sometimes when I am targeting a totally different problem, I get a new insight or experience a symptom of ADHD get better.

The main battleground does seem to be the dopamine system, but with the nootropics we are usually playing with acetylcholine. There also seems to be some benefit in NMDA antagonism which some of the nootropics address. For example, many of the people combating amphetamine tolerance issues have reported success in using magnesium, theanine, memantine, amantidine, and others. Acetyl L-Carnitine has been shown to increase NMDA recepters in experiments with one dose. Current research is also looking at using memantine and other NMDA antagonists in ADHD. NMDA to me seems to be a huge missing piece in not only ADHD but also depression and drug addiction which is a big symptom of ADHD itself. In fact, I believe that it should be strongly advised to co-administer memantine or a well devised NMDA antagonism strategy to avoid the tolerance issue which happened to me.

Another interesting effect I noticed was with anabolic-androgenic steroids. Oddly, AAS made me much more relaxed in social situations and a bit more motivated and focused. Androgens are playing a significant role in the background I’ve found. I believe not only do they impact the dopamine system behind the scenes, but also there may be cortisol and other problems. In a roundabout way, ADHD seems to cause extreme anxiety in social settings over time due to self-consciousness and poor social outcomes over time. Increased cortisol seems to decrease endogenous testosterone. Decreased endogenous testosterone causes all kinds of problems including memory problems, increases obesity, etc.

In the end, I think ADHD needs to be headed off at the pass early with stimulants. Otherwise it snowballs and wreaks all kinds of havoc.

With that all being said, I’m hoping that nootropics help my poor social abilities, problems focusing, and completion of tasks. It’s hard to say what is ADHD and what is a comorbid problem though. So far the nootropics seem to deliver.

REPORT ABUSE