Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Anybody else feel like a zombie???

Anybody else feel like a zombie???2011-06-20T01:14:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin Anybody else feel like a zombie???

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Geoduck

I searched on side effects in this forum, but didn’t see any other posts like this. I switched to Ritalin from adderall (actually, the generic forms of both, Methylin and Amphetamine Salts, respectively). On Ritalin, I felt initial hyper-sensitivity a few minutes after I first took it, but not since. In fact, quite the opposite. I am a little numb and sooooo tired! Like bone tired. I have some improved focus, though. However, if these side effects are long lasting, I’m just not sure it’s worth it.

A friend said she had a “zombie” feeling on the ritalin generic at first, then it got better. Anyone else with this experience? I’d feel much better having more to go on than just one friend’s experience.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there a difference in the dosage between Adderall and Ritalin. I’ve read that there is a difference between Concerta and Ritalin http://www.addadhdblog.com/concerta-getting-the-right-dose/comment-page-7/#comment-446173 .

So is it possible you might be overdosing? Just a thought. I’m on Ritalin but only 10mg 3x day at the moment, not prescribed, just taking it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dosing might have something to do with it.

Im currently on adderall xr, was first on ritalin before switching to concerta….after being on the 36mg tablet, i was on the 54 mg concerta and sometimes used x1 extra short action ritalin tablet 10mg after 5-6 o clock when needed.

The feeling you describe is what I got, i would describe it as the feeling you get when you are on a pretty good hangover, brain feels cloudy and slow and you don’t feel like doing anything plus you get the head in a vice feeling ….not a fun feeling by any means… I think it might be somewhat dose related as i noticed it more being on the 54 mg although i wasnt all that long on the 36 mg concerta to be honest with you. Usually when i would get a good nights sleep which is essential for an adder (about 9h00) i would not have the zombie/hangover feeling too much but as soon as i got only slightly less sleep, i would end up paying for it the day after and even the next day sometimes. It would usually screw up my whole day.

The adderall does not really give me that feeling so far…you might want to try a smaller dose if possible

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I don’t know how it compares to when I was 6 but I was a zombie for almost a year and a half on Ritalin and wanted to sleep continuously. When I was little (36 years ago) this was the only game in town so my mother took me off Ritalin and they just spent a lot of time covering their ears.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

LOL!! Curlymoe! That’s what we did with my brother. He was way more hyperactive and was on ritalin, until he developed a reaction at age 11. We just spent a lot of time covering our ears, too.

I hate taking meds! What a pain in the rear!!! Right now I’m just taking what I was taking with the adderall. I take 2 10mg tablets a day. I’ve noticed that ritalin doesn’t last nearly as long as the regular adderall. I tried adderall xr, it had less of a great focus effect and still had the excessive chattiness effect. I was driving myself nuts! I’m wondering if my doc and I should have fiddled a little more with the xr and sr tablets of adderall together.

However, the ritalin just isn’t doing much for more for me than increase focus a little. I don’t want to increase it, of course, without the doc’s okay, and I’ll see him in a bit if this keeps up. It does keep me from getting irritable when too many things are going on around me. I’ll give this a couple of more weeks, but I’m not going a year and a half on this. I like being mellow, but not this mellow!

In any case, earmuffs for my family might be a great Christmas present. LOL!!!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

no_dopamine I just read the article from the link you mentioned about the difference between concerta and ritalin dosages. At first I thought hey that might have been why I felt like Concerta didn’t work for me. Then I went to the manufacturers website and they say it’s equivalent in dosage.

http://www.concerta.net/sites/default/files/pdf/Prescribing_Info-short.pdf

So now I’m totally confused! Will definitely ask my doctor at the next visit.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it’s because, according to this ADD doc (in Oakville, Canada), you don’t get about 10% of the Concerta dose. So the example he gives takes that into account. 22% of the Concerta dose is released all at once, and then that dose amount is supported for the rest of the day, whereas 100% of the Ritalin is released right away.

I have no experience with Concerta, just Ritalin.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Yeah i know I read that. But then went to the official medication site from the manufacturer and they say the opposite of what he says. So one would hope they ought to know?:-)

I’ve read his blog before and thought he’s pretty legit since he’s commented in the forum here and Dr. J seemed to be “friendly” towards his comments. When I read what he said I was ready to go get my Concerta and try and see if it works better his way, but then decided to google the maker’s site to compare.

It would essentially mean doubling my Concerta dose if that’s true (2 x 27mg)- I’ll have to try it on a day where no family members are around to comment on my horrible agitated mood if it’s wrong haha :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think you’ll find professionals attacking each other here. It’s unprofessional. There are diplomatic ways of disagreeing (I have trouble with doing that). But I’m not sure if all ADD docs would agree on treatment, just a thought.

It might be worth a try if you’ve been through the range of meds and are still looking for something. But don’t do it on my advice!

Yes, experiments are best done at home, I think!!! But why not ask your family members to see if anything is different?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Except for one daughter, the rest think it’s all BS so don’t know I’m taking them :-)

But basically the one who keeps complaining that “i’m wired” sometimes is my mother. Rather old fashioned and thinks meds will turn you into some crazed lunatic ! My husband thinks ADD is a fad, older daughter figures I’m old so why bother. Anyway all three of them would possibly qualify for an ADD diagnosis:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So sad. None of my family really wants to hear about ADD, and I don’t have much contact anyway.

I told my dad about my diagnosis this week. Have been corresponding with my older brother by email. His son has ADD and my sister-in-law thinks my brother has it., but he says he’s not bothered by the symptoms. When I told him about the problems I have always had with driving and sleepiness, he said “Now I understand”. Sometimes when he drives back from the cottage, he has to pull over and let her drive the rest of the way. But he’s not really interested beyond that. Like I said, those of us with ADD in the family (all but father) enjoy the high energy and creativity we have. We all struggle with sleep issues in different ways but I’m the only one who’s investigated it further.

Some day your family may be crawling back to you for more info if they start to have problems later in life.

Let me know if you do the Concerta experiment. I now have experience with Ritalin, and the ADD psych recommended I research biphentin and concerta, which you’ve taken.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I also took Biphentin . I started at 30 ( if I remember correctly) because the generic Ritalin had been more or less working at that dose.But I never felt either of them had quite enough kick so to speak. I went up to 40 mg of the Biphentin and I felt totally wired – and not in a good way. I was as if I’d had 20 cups of coffee on one hand combined with that oozie hangover feeling. SO not going there again.

Now on 20mg SR of the Ritalin which I’m supposed to boost with 10 mg if needed. THere’s something about the 20 mg tablet I think that’s giving me heartburn. SO today decided maybe go back to 10mg 3 x a day and cut my losses. Just took my first tablet so will have to see how it goes today.

I’m reluctant to take the Concerta though because of the anxiety feelings it brought on – the reason I stopped taking it in the first place.

Hate to say I’m getting fed up with the trial and error but I am. When the medications do work there is this great feeling of clarity just not sure why they don’t keep working that way. The first two weeks with the COncerta were great and I thought that was going to be it , then all of the side-effects started to come on plus I felt a loss of effectiveness. I will have to bring that blog article with me to my next doctor visit.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Just to update all you nice people who are helping me out here…

On Tuesday, the effect had gotten so bad that I physically could not stay awake. This after a wonderful night’s sleep. The hubby was really worried about me. That was after taking only the first dose in the morning. Guess it’s just not the right one. It’s back to the Adderall for me. I just can’t hang with this drug.

Is ritalin for ADDers with more of the hyperactivity component? I can totally see it working for that. I have some hyperactivity, but not like my brother did, and it worked for him, well until he became allergic to it.

Turns out I was taking the adderall wrong, anyway. I had resumed it after being off of it for a few weeks, at the full dose, and didn’t think to tell the doc, who is now (rightfully so) watching me like a hawk. DUH! I didn’t even think that I may have needed to slowly step up to the dose. At the lowest dose of adderall today, and I’m much better.

Thanks for all the help. This website is the best!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, nellie. I don’t need any help with anxiety, just got through a period of it recently. Ritalin is doing well for me, maybe the ADD psych will prescribe the SR version whenever I get to that stage. Still have NOT heard from the sleep clinic with a date yet 👿

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Yesterday went well with the 3 x 10mg and felt much better so took the 20mg SR + 10 again today to see what would happen. No heartburn which was good but felt a bit wired in the afternoon so maybe from it wearing off. I guess an improvement so will try again tomorrow.

BTW no-dopamine, in terms of sleep do you try to go to bed at a regular hour? I’m still working on that. I know I should be better but still only get to bed around 1ish on a good day. Before trying meds I though I’d get it together with diet, sleep and excercise but to be honest haven’t made a huge effort in that regard although I know it would help me become more even keel.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)