Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass

Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass2010-02-01T23:33:34+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass Re: Finding direction sucks when you don't have a compass

ADDled

Hi, Briochick!

I have done a lot of investigating as to what jobs a person with ADHD can do, as I am trying to find that one out myself…

But from my research, that’s like asking “what is a good job for someone with blue eyes?” Apparently, we can do anything AS LONG AS WE ARE INTERESTED IN IT. As soon as the interest is gone, so is the desire to do the job.

Based on my experience, the best jobs for me were the ones allowing me a sense of control, different technical challenges, allowing the use of an “outside the box” solution and, funnily enough, changes in scenery or location.

And very little paper work. As we all know paperwork… repeat after me…. “Is like Kryptonite”.

But now, most jobs are basically about “knowledge transfer” and very few things are actually made anymore. Most of the “knowledge transfer” jobs are essentially mind numbing (think accounting, or compiling insurance actuarial tables), well, you get the picture. Not that there is anything wrong with that…I’m just saying, in my opinion, it’s not for ADHDers.

I sort of do that kind of thing in my current job. It didn’t start out that way, but now there is an avalanche of status logs, tracking data and a really insane, almost obsessive need for data. Status, status, status, data, data, data all day.. every day. I’m really thinking the people who require all this data are suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). They need meds more than we do!

Actually, I think working where I do is stating to make me stupid. I have to slow down my thinking to keep up with the pace of the work. Then there is the “Cube Farm” environment with gray walls. All the visual stimulation of a mental ward…and you get to do this for at least 40 hrs per week,,,,,

Any place I’ve been working in supervisors and managers have generally been impressed with my intelligence and drive. Someone actually said, “highly regarded”. But when I see some of the crap we have to wade through to our jobs, my brain kicks into overdrive trying to come with a better way or a more efficient solution to things. Then, I think, the supervisors and managers are a little intimidated by me, because I sometimes expose things that are better off not said or done. Because I can make these people look bad? Because they didn’t think of these things?

Anyway, Briochick, find what you abilities are, what you really enjoy doing and focus on that. Perhaps an career coach would be a good start? Employment Canada often has courses for people looking for career changes and often provide aptitude testing and skills analysis. Think “skills transfer’ and go from there.

Hope that helps…

REPORT ABUSE