Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

108 Mg's of concerta

108 Mg's of concerta2011-07-20T19:32:41+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta 108 Mg's of concerta

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

I felt the need to come on here and talk about my experience with Concerta… well in actual fact, I want to talk about my experience with the Dr who first put me on the medication and how I ended up on 108 mg daily.

I first was diagnosed with Adhd about 1.5 years ago by a psychologist and was referred to a Dr. in the greater Vancouver area to start medical treatment. During the first few months I found eating to be hard but did what I could to keep up my nutrition. Well, it wasn’t long before I started complaining about headaches. My Dr. claimed it was because the concerta was leaving my bloodstream to quicky. So, up went my dose (down went my eating). Once again, I complained about not being able to eat, (and headaches). Again, up with the dose! This pattern continued till i reached 108 mg!

I know many of you may be asking why I allowed the Dr. to put me on that kind of dose! To be honest there are a number of reasons, 1. I didn’t have enough information about the medication, 2. I saw a large improvement in my university GPA and 3. The waiting list to get into a Dr. for the treatment of ADD is so so so long, I didn’t want to risk losing this Dr. (I understand how bad of and idea that was now).

Every time I went to see him the waiting room time was over an hour, which was followed by a rushed impersonal appointment. Rarely did the Dr take my blood pressure.

My daily life left me feeling as though I was ALWAYS dying! I know that sound dramatic, but it’s the truth. When I complained to the Dr, I was told that I likely also had an anxiety disorder (and for a while I really started to believe it).

Then, one day I had to fill my prescription and the pharmacy was backed up. To kill the time while I waited, I sat down at a blood pressure machine… when the reading came out of the machine, i nearly hit the floor. My blood pressure was at 170 over 100!

I immediately left the pharmacy and headed to a walk in clinic, where i under went a battery of tests.

Turns out that I have hypertension (even with out the concerta). and the does of 108mg’s would commonly spike my bp to approx. 160 over 90 or higher with a pulse of 130 beat per min.

The walk in clinic dr, sent me to a psychiatrist in town to over see the safe lowering of my medication (which took another 6 months to get into). The good news is the new Dr has safely reduced my medication to 54 mg and added a blood pressure medications. The best part of all….. I NO LONGER FEEL LIKE I’M DIEING DAILY!

so, to summarize a very long blog, PLEASE don’t make the mistake I did. If somethings not working for you, don’t be afraid to take a more active role in your health. I wish I had done it way sooner!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

good advice =)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re right about the need for us to be proactive regarding our health! We need to voice our opinions and reactions to meds LOUDLY and clearly, especially if we think the current treatment plan isn’t working.

However, what doesn’t work for one may well be the perfect treatment and doseage for another. I’ve struggled with blood pressure readings as high yours since I was in my late 20s. With a combination of meds, I’ve managed to keep them ‘just’ in the acceptable range.

When I started Concerta, you can bet I had doubts about its appropriateness/safety with my BP history. My current dose was raised just over a month ago to 90mg (after a year and a half at 72mg). Blood pressure since beginning meds? Better ‘reads’ than the last 25 years!! My GP is astounded, my psychiatrist not so much. 😆

His comment? Removing the load of stress caused by the ADHD is the reason for the improvement.

I was concerned about not being able to eat since before beginning meds I had lost an enormous amount of weight due to surgery for a rather huge tumour on my pancreas that had managed to mess up my stomach/eating. I had already become a human skeleton (yes, scary-looking to my friends and especially to me) so I quite concerned about not being able to eat. Nevermind the fact that is was incredibly painful to even do so!

Did the Concerta cause problems with my eating habits? Not one little bit! In fact, I get compliments all the time about how good I look now.

I’m saying all this just to remind everyone that we need to monitor our own health and treatment plan according to our own experiences. The dose that works for one may not be right for another but we need to always keep an open mind. Don’t refuse to try a particular dose based on another’s bad experience.

I’m certainly glad you’ve finally found the correct dose for your body and metabolism! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Zsazsa,

You’re totally right! Each and every person will react to medications in their own way. My experience wasn’t due to a bad medication, it was due to a poor dr/patient relationship. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if someone who didn’t have my hypertension could do fine on that kind of does. Just for me, it was a really long (and sometimes scary) path to finding my voice, and demanding to play a larger role in my medication.

On few occasions dr’s would say things like “you’re blood pressure is a little high, but it’s mostly just a result of an active day” and I just blindly trusted it. I have learned to ask questions, and keep asking till the answer I get makes sense to me. I totally take a portion of the responsibility for my experience.

Now that I’m down to half the does, My world has become 1000 x’s better and I’m so happy for it!

Thanks for your post, I’m sorry if I sounded like I was warning off the medication.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, no. It’s just that some people apply every little bit of info that they hear as a hard and fast rule to EVERything!

I’m glad that all is well for you.

I’ve not had my meds today and am way, way off course. Need to get going and stop the procrastinating….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doctors are human. Yes they are experts, and they have the knowledge and responsibility to prescribe medications etc, but they are just as prone to error and bad judgement as the next person. I am usually stunned at the number of people that blindly follow “doctors orders” without speaking up about other conditions, or if they haven’t fully disclosed medical history out of embarrasment, or never look in to other options or second opinions. I am glad that you were able to go to another doctor that seemed to have the time and attention to give you, and that probably saved your life!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)