Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

37 and finally got up the courage to talk to my doc

37 and finally got up the courage to talk to my doc2010-06-23T14:20:21+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story 37 and finally got up the courage to talk to my doc

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good morning everyone,

Well, yesterday was a big day for me. I went in to see my GP and brought her the two adult add tests I had filled out some weeks ago. I was afraid she would brush it off or worse, laugh at me, but I underestimated her compassion and understanding. I was nervous, but when I started talking about my oldest son who’s had an ADD dx since he’s 7 (he’s 16 now and still struggling) and my youngest who I’ve been told has an autism spectrum disorder (he’s 3), she began nodding and I could feel she knew where I was going with this. She looked at my test answers, smiled and asked me I’ve ever tried Ritalin. I told her I tried on my son’s once and it was like I was “all there” for the first time in a long time. No brain fog, no high-speed thoughts. Just me in my head.

I was wondering how the dx came about for you guys. My doc has not asked me to get an assessment from a psych, but I am guessing that is because we have been and are still going through so many assessments for my boys and she knows I know ADD like the back of my hand. She gave me a prescription for Ritalin. I am really grateful, because having started a new job, I come home from work exhausted, irritable and have zero patience for my boys. I’m having trouble organizing myself in this new job and it takes all of my energy to get through the day without breaking down. I suffer from Impostor syndrome, every day I figure someone will finally find out I’m awful at my job. I’ve developed a lot of coping strategies over the years, but I felt it just wasn’t enough lately. So I’ll try the Ritalin, see where that takes me.

Anyway, I’m glad I found this place ! Thanks for letting me share !

Celine

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

In my admittedly short experience, Ritalin is nice, but Concerta is nicer. They’re both Methylphenidate, but the extended delivery system of Concerta seems to be more effective. And it’s very important to get ACTUAL Ritalin or Concerta, not the generic versions, especially Concerta. Here’s why: http://totallyadd.com/generics-part-4

My diagnosis came when my brother saw an interview with Rick, in the Toronto Star, in April. He sent me the link, with a note that said, “This sounds exactly like you.” He was right. I went to this website, did the Virtual Doctor and other diagnostics, and scored 100%. I printed out the results and took them with me on my next regular visit to my psychiatrist. (I was being treated for depression, later modified to “mild bipolar”, for 12 years.) He asked me about my childhood to determine whether I’d had symptoms prior to age 7. I had, so he said, “I think we can safely assume that you DO have ADHD Combined Subtype.” He started me on Methylphenidate (generic, since I’m on the Trillium Drug Plan), which had a slight effect. It wasn’t until he put me on the lowest dose of Concerta (branded, since my pharmacy didn’t have generic) that I discovered what “normal” feels like.

So here I am, aged 41, and finally finding out why I am the way I am, and what “normal” feels like. I always knew I was a late bloomer, but this is ridiculous!

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Now that you know what ‘normal’ feels like, it can be kind of cool to realize how well you have actually done up until now. I mean, you’re 37 or 41 and you had no idea this hidden saboteur was undercutting you and tripping you up. We’re so used to beating ourselves up for things. Just getting to where you are while having this extra challenge is something to … well, not celebrate, but acknowledge. Hell, why not celebrate! Life’s short!

Rick.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just turned 40, and was just diagnosed myself. After a few weeks on Strattera, I actually caught myself thinking yesterday “Boy, that person sure is forgetful…”. Oh the delicious irony of it all.

Irvin Yalom wrote in “Love’s Executioner” about the idea of ‘meaning flowing retroactively’, in explaining why he enjoys working with adults and the elderly and helping them reach a new meaning in their lives – in part because he believes that it is never too late to reach a new understanding of one’s life. In reaching a new understanding, the new meaning can act as a new lens or ‘organizing process’ to someone’s past, flowing back in time and re-organizing or re-interpreting the past in a more fair and dispassionate way.

This is certainly the case for me. I consider that my diagnosis has provided me with a clarifying narrative, one that helps explain all those problems and struggles and shame filled moments and difficulties throughout my life. It in some ways acts as a salve on the pain.

I was always a late bloomer, but better now than never!

Mungo

http://MungosADHD.com

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Hi Mungo thanks for the post. I am currently on 10 mill of adderal xr and it really helps with my symptoms. My concern is that it elevates my blodd pressure. I tried a combo of Wellbutrin and Adderal – but the wellbutrin really made me foggey and nervpus and on edge. I’m just wondering how long it took for STratera to kick in -p it sounds like you have to take it for a fairly long time before you know if it is working, thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Walter Mitty

Hi, new to the group. Found it completely randomly. Was diagnosed with ADD a few years ago, tried Stratera for a while, wasn’t really working, made appointment to change, took the wrong day off from work, missed appointment, got discouraged, and never rescheduled. I get daily reminders to go back from my wife (not finishing projects started around the house), employers ( “What ARE you doing?) etc… I found this site while looking for a recent image of Patrick McKenna and ended up here. Great site. The other sites seem like a doctor’s office; this one is like a friends home. Long story short, I made an appointment for Monday (8.09) to see my Dr about doing something different. Will be back soon.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walter Mitty – Love the name! (ADD’er if ever there was one!) In the overwhelming avalanche of information that’s available on the internet, this site stands out, and is outstanding, so now that you’ve found it, you are sure to find some great information and resources on this site. Welcome!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)