Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

46? I'm almost 70 and just found out!

46? I'm almost 70 and just found out!2012-10-14T18:43:37+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? 46? I'm almost 70 and just found out!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll be 70 in January 2013. Not confirmed by a doctor yet, but after watching ADD and Mastering it on PBS and taking the test on this website with 100% results (the ADD part) I was so happy! Excited! Lightning struck! Finally an explanation for a lifetime of behaviors – chronically late, overwhelm, inability to prioritize, depression, inertia, procrastination, severe addiction to games on my phone (sometimes to the point of not eating all day, or being up all night), multitasking to the point of absurdity, etc. etc. etc.

While watching the ADD special on PBS, I intermittently did laundry, started to fix something to eat, took notes, looked stuff up on my computer about ADD, looked for my keys, remembered I had taken food out of the refrigerator, but hadn’t put it on the stove to cook, started washing my CPAP equipment, wondered why I had walked into my bedroom … etc. I did each of the above, and more, in segments, switching from one to the other until, at 3:00, I remembered I had a 3:30 appointment, and I still needed to eat, shower, get dressed and drive to the appointment. … I arrived 10 minutes late. Do I really need to see a doctor to tell my what is now so obvious to me?

The good part of this is that now that I know, I can deal with it and be more aware of what I’m doing. Knowledge is power. And there is great relief to know there is an explanation for how I am, that it is okay, and that I’m not alone.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi calmdown – welcome to the forum.

When you find out what the matter is it’s liberating, frustrating, horrible, lovely, annoying, a relief, all those things. But as you say knowledge is power. Read as much as you can.

I quite liked a book called ‘ADD-Friendly ways to organise your life’ by Kolberg and Nadeau.

In answer to your question here and in your other post – no you don’t need a doctor to diagnose you. But if your symptoms are recent (as opposed to life long) then a doctor can rule out things like thyroid problems. If you want meds then you need a doctor in order to get a prescription but also to rule out other issues that are similar (bipolar). Otherwise there are plenty of resources that are helpful.

Check out the videos on this site.

Hang around the forum too – we’re all just like you. :)

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

So good to read your post calmdown. Reminds me of what I went through just a couple of years ago. The sense of relief was cathartic almost to the point of overwhelming. I saw a doctor anyway just so that I could have that badge of honour – a medical confirmation of something I knew only too well. A series of tests (and $1,000+) later and they told me the obvious. ;)

Welcome to the club of the delightfully distracted.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Heh, it sure is a mixed bag of emotions isn’t it? Very interesting! Do any of you ever wonder how it might feel to think as one of the robots, even if it’s just for one day? 😯

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

If by “Robots”, you mean the non-ADD, brains out there?

All the time.

Can you imagine not getting tugged around by impulses?

Can you imagine the quietness and peace of thoughts without all the monkey-chatter?

Can you imagine not being bored to tears, when there is nothing happening, and overwhelmed when there is?

The list goes on.

I think about it all the time. When I have to get OCD about where I put things, because if I don’t, they get “lost”. I think about it all the time, when things I am thinking about get knocked out of my head by some stupid/interesting/distracting thing and I can’t get back on track. I think about it all the time, when I see how easy people live life doing things effortlessly that take me so much work, time and thought.

I think about it all the time.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

That’s one side of it.

The other side: I was on increasing amounts of Concerta for quite a while. My mind was orderly and instead of writing quick sharp vibrant quips I found myself writing reams of paragraphed material – all of it fairly boring.

Had some chest pains and rising blood pressure so opted to stop the Concerta – at least for a while (I’m still off of it). And now those vibrant ways of thinking are back.

Yeah, ADHD causes no end of problems – but they’re problems I”ve lived with for my entire life. Before the prognosis I had no idea why I was so different or in some cases didn’t realilze that I was different at all – I just thought I was lazier than most, and prone to procrastination. When you go through life like this, you tend to come up with workarounds. Such as making decisions NOT to take on extensive projects, either in school or at work. Or you figure out where your strengths are – in my case, the creative arts.

I have to say now that I truly *like* the fact that there are all of these shiny balls floating around in my brain again, all alive with neon lighting and bursting with music.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Welcome home! :D Here you will find your long lost brothers and sisters of the ADHD tribe! hee hee

I almost have my aunt convinced that she has it now too. Shes EXACTLY like me. Zones out (having ADD yourself you can spot the zone out in a minute), absent minded, all over the place. heh.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Allan and Shutterbug – actually I have no concept of what a non-ADD mind is like. I often try to imagine it but can’t.

I asked a colleague what she thinks about when she’s relaxing and she said ‘nothing’.

So I said but there must be SOME thoughts passing through your brain and she said ‘no’. I can’t believe or fathom that. She’s immensly intelligent and is still alive, so it’s beyond my grasp that someone’s brain isn’t shouting at them constantly.

I guess the nearest I get to it is the brief time the max dose of Ritalin kicks in but then I feel serious and ….well, boring. But that’s good in some contexts and actually quite a relief. But to be like that ALL the time….well, that I can’t imagine either.

REPORT ABUSE

jayycee

I’m 80 and just found out about my ADD a few years ago, after my 10-years-younger sister had suggested I check into it. At first I was relieved to learn what I’d been coping with all my life, but now I have mixed reactions. To be sure, I’m very glad to know, because it brings about a vast understanding of past and current events and behaviors.

On the other hand, there’s the issue of what might have been — which is a fruitless pursuit, I well understand — but it brings about emotions I don’t know what to do with. Anger, for example. There’s no one to blame, not even myself. I’m fortunate that ADD knowledge has developed as far as it has so that I have this opportunity for insight.

But then there’s shame. I find I have to take responsibility for unfortunate situations or events that I now see I played a part in — things I haven’t thought about in years.

Are there any other seniors out there who have had similar reactions? I would imagine so, but I’ve never heard it discussed.

Anyone??

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yeah, it’s fascinating isn’t it? I mean how is it possible that somebody can just not have even one thought going through their mind when sitting down? Not even one thought! For the life of me that just seems incredulous! Yep, I’m an old codger as well jaycee, and the self-flaggelation is almost part of the daily routine…do you act your age, or are you prone to disregard your age and just yield to your inclinations irrespective of who might be around? For example, if I’m at the park with my kids and pushing my little girl on a swing, it takes a lot of restraint to just jump onto a swing and go like the clappers! Every now and again I’ll just jump on and be damned! Once down in Tassie as I was playing with my kids in a park I just couldn’t help jumping on a swing and swinging so high, and making so much noise laughing that people were stopping and staring. Even the traffic slowed to a crawl! Is it really strange for a middle aged man to enjoy playing on a swing? The more the dour bores stared the more determined I was to just really see how far I could push that stupid thing, and get it higher than anybody else had ever got it! Although my older kids weren’t so keen to go to the park with me much after that, my little girl was squealing and laughing like a maniac. She still enjoys going to a park with me… 8)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)