Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

49 and just been diagnosed!

49 and just been diagnosed!2011-05-10T23:05:13+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story 49 and just been diagnosed!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DistractedCindy

Wow! What a life changer! I went to see a Therapist/Life coach in February to help me get organized and get my motivation back. I thought I was getting depressed again. I am an empty-nester and stay-at-home wife and I just couldn’t get anything accomplished. I had piles of papers in the office, many, many projects not started, a messy house,etc. I felt overwhelmed and not in control of my life.

Anyway, my therapist said, “I think you may be ADD.” She gave me and my husband a “test” to complete on our own, and you guessed it

I was diagnosed as ADD. I researched Adult ADD and cried a few tears.(Tears of joy and relief.) I couldn’t believe it . That was me they were talking about!!!! I could look back into my childhood, teen, and young adult years and see traits of ADD throughout my life. Of course, now I really see it!

I’ve been reading a few books on the subject to learn more about Adult ADD—-my favorite “You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!” by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. What is my next step? Should I try medication or just find others ways of coping with it? Apparently, I have found certain ways of doing things in order to function this long in my life. I’ve been lucky. I have a great and wonderful supportive husband and two great young adult children doing very well in college. Neither one has ever been diagnosed with ADD but, I’m suspicious that my daughter could be. (She’s too much like me!)

In April, on our PBS station, they played the video, ” ADD & Loving It!” during one of their fund raisers. (I taped it to watch later) One weekend my husband turned it on for us to watch and we laughed so hard we both had tears in our eyes! It described me so well! I think my husband finally really understood what I go through everyday of my life. He now has fun looking back on when we dated and telling me about things I did that are sooooo ADD. Thank you Rick and Patrick for making this video and making the world of Adult ADD known to the public . It has helped me and I’m sure so many others too.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratulations on getting diagnosed and having a supportive husband. Keep reading, as much as you can. I found a lot of help with Gena Pera’s Is it You Me or Adult ADD? It helps for both sides of the ADD equation, maybe even more for the non-ADD partner. Pat yourself on the back for going 49 years with awesome coping skills that “hid” your ADD. BTW you are not ADD, but you HAVE ADD.

Medication won’t solve everything, but what if medication made your coping mechanisms work SO MUCH BETTER? Be patient, which is tough advice, but it takes a while to discover the right medication and the right dosage, and it will always need adjustment and evaluation. And since you are female in her 40’s, be sure to find a professional that understands the interaction between changing hormone levels, periomenopause and more.

I was diagnosed last year and I am in my mid-40’s. I had done remarkably well with finding coping mechanisms, so well that even my family and coworkers couldn’t believe I had ADD until after several long diagnosis questionairres. My parents didn’t understand what I was going through until they saw ADD & Loving It?! The visual of the wall of post it notes and bombardment of noises and voices was a perfect introduction to my brain.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 37 and jist got diagnosed and treated the whole process took a couple of months but the last few years of my life have been hell. I have coped my whole life. Thank god my wife is so supportive. I was on the verge of throwing away an awesome life. I am just starting my meds and I am not sure if they are the perfect med, but last weekend was my first weekend at home , while on meds and my wife cried because she was so happy. All I did was make a list and not lose it. Also, my children must have noticed a big difference because my 2 year old told me he loved me for the first time ever. Now I have to deal with the emotions of knowing that I have been the major cause of all of the failed relationships in my life. Thank god I have a great therapist. This is gonna be a long road.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Amazing how all your stories are just like mine. Overwhelmed with piles of unfolded laundry, messy house, underachievement, underaccomplishment. Lost opportunities. Not going to high school reunion because nothing to say or account for the last 30 years. Career changes every 5 years. Grieving from time to time with the ‘what might have been’ and the ‘what ifs’. 2 years after the big liberating thruth, now at 45, I cherish every little thing, every small moment, every person in my life. Still adjusting my meds dosage, but I’m sure the nightmare is behind me, at least for the worst part. I’m trying real hard to come to terms with the past. Sometimes I manage, sometimes not. My son also has ADHD, so I have a double challenge. The road’s gonna be long, yes, but now I’m taking it one step at the time, at my own pace. We can all make it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)