Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

5 hour energy drinks

5 hour energy drinks2013-12-01T17:10:23+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community 5 hour energy drinks

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lucky12b

Does 5 hour energy help with ADHD?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Based on what I’ve read from experts, 5-Hour Energy, Red Bull, and other energy drinks are no more effective than a really strong cup of coffee, because their main ingredient is a lot of caffeine. And, like a really strong cup of coffee (and some ADHD meds), it can increase your heart rate & blood pressure, which can be dangerous for some people.

These energy products are not subject to the strict regulation, testing & controls that legitimate medications are. And, unlike ADHD medications, they don’t specifically target the parts of your brain which need stimulation.

The other down-side of energy drinks is that nearly all of them are loaded with high-fructose corn syrup, sugar, and artificial flavours & colours. And some of them contain additional stimulant ingredients which may or may not be declared on the label. They’re also more expensive than a cup of ordinary coffee.

The best thing to do is ask your doctor or pharmacist, before taking any supplements, energy products, or over-the-counter medications, especially if you’re taking any other medications or supplements.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I recommend staying away from the 5 hour energy drinks. Mostly because they taste like puke.

I used to use energy drinks at work because I couldn’t get coffee. I would usually drink it slowly over 6-8 hours which is, like Larynxa said, about the same as drinking coffee. If you drink it all at once then you can get a bit of a “buzz”.

Some are slightly more effective than coffee because they also contain other things that boost your energy and concentration, such as ginseng and B vitamins.

They do need to be used with some caution. They raise your heart rate and blood pressure as Larynxa mentioned. But the greatest risk is dehydration. Caffein is a diuretic so you need to be sure you drink plenty of water, especially if you are active or the weather is hot.

Whether or not they are cost effective depends on how many cups of coffee you would normally buy in a day. If you normally buy three cups of coffee in a day and you replace that with one energy drink that contains 300 mg of caffein (the same as three small coffees) then the cost is about the same.

Alternatively, you can buy caffein pills. They are relatively inexpensive and you don’t get all the extra sugar and stuff with them. Just be sure to read the label and take them as directed and watch how many other things you have with caffein in them. And just like with the drinks, stay hydrated.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)