Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

A Little Bit at a time

A Little Bit at a time2012-03-20T14:01:44+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments A Little Bit at a time

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bill

Confession: When I make plans, I make really BIG plans.

I just read an article about change that had this advice: the most powerful words for personal change are “a little bit more,” as in a little bit more organization or a little less clutter. What change can I make right now, this instant, that will make my life a little bit more livable?

Today, I decided that my email needs to be less cluttered. I have decided that before. My old “BIG” plan was to divide incoming email into folders by subject and/or priority. That plan didn’t last a day. The “little bit more” plan is to reduce the volume of email by ruthlessly unsubscribing from email that I don’t read. I have changed my email notifications on forums to a daily summary. I unticked a LOT of boxes in my Facebook notifications page. (Why doesn’t Facebook offer a daily digest?)

These are little changes, but I know they will work. Until the next time that I realize my inbox is cluttered and I’m missing important email that is. ** sigh **

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Little and often seems to be such a successful strategy for everyone I know. I find it SO hard to do though. It has to be BIG and even if I try to do LITTLE it just turns into a BIG thing anyway – like the video of Rick tidying those pitiful drawers. ( I get a lump in my throat watching that one.)

But I had a little success with Flylady for a while and that was all about 10 minute blocks and ‘baby steps’ and following a programme like that did have quite remarkable results until I forgot to do it and generally lost the energy for it.

However, the results have remained fairly consistent. My house is nowhere near as cluttered as it was and it was lots of baby steps that got me to that stage. Now all the clutter is mainly contained to one room and things just disappear into the ether in there – including about 20 library books that I need urgently and can’t find…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Way to go Tid!!!! Wooohoooo…….good on ya… :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

@ Tiddler – yes, that’s EXACTLY what I’m talking about. It’s funny how things work (or not). My desk is always a cluttered mess, but when it comes to cooking or baking, I clean up as I go and don’t leave a mess. Go figure!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)