Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

About to turn 32, and a new chapter begins!

About to turn 32, and a new chapter begins!2011-02-08T13:24:37+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story About to turn 32, and a new chapter begins!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jpsimard

Hello forums,

This is not my first post, but it will be the first that I discuss what many of you have already experienced. I was diagnosed with ADD on February 4, 2011. It was the final step of a journey which up to this point has been frustrating, disheartening and sometimes downright tragic. But don’t let those words misguide you, because I see this diagnosis as a blessing! In many ways, it reminds me of when I was nine years old, when I had my very first pair of glasses. I recall walking through a parking lot with my mom, with my glasses on, and I looked up and saw ZELLERS sign on the side of the mall. I asked my mom if that was always there, and she said yes, and I was so thrilled that I could see!

This diagnosis is like those glasses. Looking back on my life, I can now see in clear focus just how I got to where I am today. I look back with sober thought, but look forward with excitement! There are treatment plans for ADD/ADHD. There are medications which, I learned from this website, have been in use since the 1930s! I am nervously optimistic about my future, and I look forward to reaping the benefits of my treatment plan. I have no illusions that with this awareness that there will be frustration and a lot of hard work, but as the Buddha says, life is suffering.

So, with this community, and with my friends and family I move onward with treatment. I was prescribed Ritalin, 20mg slow release. I am taking one in the morning for seven days, and then moving up to one in the morning, and one at noon. Eventually, I may move up to morning, noon, and early in the afternoon. With this, I am fortunate to have a psychiatrist who is also a cognitive behavior therapist! Bonus! This is covered by medicare, so the only expense with my diagnose so far has been the ritalin, and a book he recommended I read. “Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Dummies.” He said any other book would contain WAY too much information and would be too distracting to read.

So, forums, I am glad to meet you! Officially! I look forward to sharing my journey with you, and relying on your resources when I need them!

Sincerely,

Justin

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice to meet you Justin… Welcome!.

I am 48yr old male that has struggled my entire life and learned I had ADHD at 45ish . But I never new what that meant. This webiste is awesome….. I finally have learned and have become better educated about ADHD which is a huge plus in seeking the correct (holistic or systemic) treatment to move forward…. Best of luck…….No let’s call it “skill” in your adventure…… You are not alone!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)