Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD and food

ADD and food2011-01-21T02:48:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other ADD and food

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My wife and I went to a buffet-style Chinese restaurant today for lunch. I’m especially fond of a Chinese soup called Hot and Sour Soup, and as I was enjoying a bowl it got me to thinking about the kinds of foods I like. I find that as a rule I like spicy, stimulating dishes, and I’m wondering if, much like TV stimulates the ADD mind, spicy foods have much the same effect on the ADD mind. I find bland foods boring, and I’ll eat a tuna sandwich if I’m hungry, but I throw in some onions if I can. One of my favorite foods is a hot dog with melted cheese and hot salsa on it!

Anyone else notice this? Is this a feature of the ADD brain?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I totally hear ya my friend. I go through a half-litre bottle of Tobasco sauce every couple months. I have always been like that. In fact I remember taking a bet back in grade 8 or so (too many lost brain cells since to remember when exactly) that I couldn’t drink a shot glass full of Tobasco. Well I did and I paid for it dearly but I won the bet.

It’s funny ya mention the tuna sandwich cuz I can’t stand eating them plain either. What I do is keep a couple jalapeno peppers in the fridge. Mix the tuna with some light miracle whip, a tablespoon of green relish, couple slices of cheese, and half a diced jalapeno for some taste. Fire a little margarine on a couple pieces of bread and ya got yourself a grilled-cheese ‘n tuna sandwich with some balls! (sorry for the lingo) Yeah it’s not the “best” tasting sandwich in the world I will agree, but it’s sorta’ good for ya!

But I do think there is a definite link between the mental/physical stimulation from the “rush” of the spices. I’ve thought it for a long time actually. Bland foods = booooooorrrrrring and good luck trying to get me to eat it. I’m 33 years old now, and my parents for the past 20-ish years have always picked me up some sort of odd-ball insane hot sauce for my x-mas stocking. Coincidence? Nah, I don’t think so but then again I’m not a doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting!

Another AHA! moment I love spicy foods at least what I call “mildly spicy” I love Chinese Hot and Sour soup by putting rice in it I can make a meal out of it. Bob have you ever tryed “wasabe” that is Japanese green horse radish if not try it. Only one caustion like other horse radishes the heat goes UP! really clears you sinus makes you tear if you are not use to it.

K

REPORT ABUSE

dspicelady

I am the opposite. I find most things so overwhelming, that I prefer my food much more boring. Buffets stress me out. Too much choice, not enough room. LOL!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kazuo – I like horseradish, especially with roast beef, but I’ve never tried Wasabi. Sounds good! What does it go with? I also like spicy hot mustards, and I go through Tabasco Sauce like crazy! Tabasco on pasta dishes is one of my all-time favorites! So stimulating!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think mine manifests more in needing variety in my meals. I also can’t make a decision when going to a new restaurant. I think the spicy take is interesting – I guess I would have to say that I like things with strong depths of flavor, maybe not so much spicy but perhaps rich flavors.

Interesting topic!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, I find that I dont mind eating the same thing over and over again. Choosing what to cook stresses me out. I know that it sounds silly. The less I think about it the healthier I eat. I do not ask myself “What do I WANT to eat?” instead I ask myself “What do I NEED to eat?”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently went on a low- carb, high- protein diet. I found that my head really cleared up. The ADD is still there, but the day goes more smoothly and I’m happier, Has anyone had the same experience or have anything to add? I’d really like to know more about this.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I completely agree. It has helped with my mood. The ADD is still there but things are smoother. It makes me realize how important diet is to people who struggle with ADD. I make sure I get an apple, orange, almonds, eggs, turkey bacon, yougurt, and spinich everyday. As well as eating some meat/ protein at every meal. I would never go back.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob,

You mix it with some soy sauce and usually we eat it with sashimi (SAH-SHE-ME) which is raw fish but you can use it as a condiment for anything try it! You can find it either in a powder or paste form in some ethnic food isle in most food store or oriental food market. another “hot one” is “Colemans” dry mustard again you mix it with soy sauce and use it with just about anything like egg or spring rolls; like wasabi if you mixture is too strong it will “MAKE YOU SNEEZE, MAKE YOUR EYES WATER, AND CLEAR YOUR SINISUS OUT!” I make sure I have alot of rice to eat with both condiments they just seem to pair very well with them. WOW! I wish I had some now! discribing the stuff made me Palovian! Happy eating

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob.

I forgot to mention I love Chinese hot and sour soup and kim chee when it is made traditionally tabascco is good stuff however a bit to vinegary for my taste I prefer Louisiana Hot sauce which is a touch lighter on the vineger. Wow! I better stop my mouth really is watering!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kazuo,

Your mention of Coleman’s mustard reminds me of when i was a kid my Grandmother used to make homemade mustard with Keen’s powdered mustard. Absolutely delicious on ham or roast beef, and really brought hot dogs to life!

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

ADHDplus, I’m the same way about choosing what to eat; especially breakfast. I have to have something pre-decided or else I eat nothing and an hour later I could go back to bed.

also, I can’t really handle any spicy food! but I like the idea of horseradish and banana peppers.

REPORT ABUSE

CrazyClouds

mrsharrypotter,

I also tried the atkins diet for about 4 months and couldn’t believe how clear my mind became. Unfortunately, the diet was expensive and boring, so I quit. I’m now on a Gluten-free diet and the clouds have lifted once again. I watch my portions of some carbs like potatoes, corn chips, and ice cream, but in general I don’t crave bread like l used to. I’ve notice I don’t squirm anymore as well. I could never sit still for classes, meetings and such, and this has made a hell of a difference for me. I’ve also cut down on interrupting others talking. I’m happy to be eating fruits once more (I couldn’t on Atkins). When I feel like eating bread I buy Udi’s bread (Gluten-free), that brand is the best so far. I love the fact that many stores are starting to carry many gluten-free items, it make life easier.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice post! Very interesting connection. I love food. Eating it, cooking it, shopping for it. Get me in a Home Depot or a good Butcher’s it’s the same thing. My mind goes woosh and I start imagining all the possibilities.

I create a meal by tasting it in my mind first.

Does anyone else do this?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)