Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD and the Job Search?

ADD and the Job Search?2011-03-23T00:36:03+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers ADD and the Job Search?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, I quit my first post-college job a few months ago to return to the mainland (long story), and now I’m looking for advice on job searching. I’ve been able to use a few general productivity tips on how to crank out applications at a reasonable pace, but I don’t know much more about ADD and my current situation beyond that.

I’m perfectly happy with the career field I’ve been in, so that’s taken care of. It’s TV/Film production, which is a very “it’s not who you are, it’s who you know” field, so any networking help would be VERY much appreciated in addition to any other advice you may have.

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Well, at least you’re in an industry where ADDers abound.

You probably already know the drill: First, get somebody who knows what they’re doing to vet your demo/portfolio and C/V. Make sure there are no glaring typos on the resume, and make sure it pops. Stress your skills (personal and professional) and experience. No lying or gross exaggerations.

People swing both ways on cover letters. If you’re an ADDer and decide to include them, you’ll want somebody to proof each one.

You’ll need a strong video demo of your work. If you want to narrate it, get somebody with pipes to do it. If you have access to a good music library, you might consider scoring it, as well. It really makes a difference. In any event, tweak it until it sparkles. Then upload it to the Web (Youtube?) or—better—your own website. Put a profile up on LinkedIn. Get as many recs as you can. You can upload your portfolio there, too.

Then network like crazy. But be advised, most people in the media biz won’t put in a good word for you until they’ve seen what you can do and think “Wow.” There are just too many wannabes.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s my demo reel as it exists today. Seems to get me about two or three interviews a month. Not bad for only having had one job so far.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdamsDemoChannel

I’m looking into getting a personal website.

Also, anyone else in the business want to network with me? It’ll be fun!*

*Not really, but it’ll be a huge help for me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best advice I ever got… okay among the best… was to find a new job b-4 i quit the old one. actually made it easier 2 go 2 work knowing I was leaving. way less stress & I was actually way less prickly knowing I wasn’t trapped… which actually made me a way better employee.. happier cause I didn’t feel the dread…. irony. lol.

B-4 that I always quit first cause I couldn’t stand the job. Big gap in salary and I rarely had savings… stress. then I’d end up taking a job that I didn’t like much but had to take cause I was broke… so an endless cycle…

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

Good luck. I am looking too. Something in the environmental field maybe outdoors. At this point I am willing to do almost anything except illegal work, and desk work.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)