Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD that's all I think/talk about – Do you?

ADD that's all I think/talk about – Do you?2010-03-13T17:44:51+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs ADD that's all I think/talk about – Do you?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bettyboo

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask if you find yourself talking and thinking about ADD all the time. I feel like it becomes my focus on everything I do during the day . As well as, I wonder if I’m talking too much about it with everyone, but they are being polite and not saying anything.

Is this something that you do as well and, if so, how do you deal with it?

Lookimg forward to replies….

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elizabeth,

At some point, I felt the same. Especially, when you’re discovering new things about it everyday …

Rick posted something similar a while ago (http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=19)

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

I’ve known I’ve been ADD for about 8 years now, but going through a separation has me on a mission from God to really try to understand absolutely everything about ADD. I know it was my negativity that caused the breakup, so how do I fix that? (asking myself). I’ve been immersed in all things ADD and then some. What was the question? Oh yes…

So yes, Elizabeth, I am constantly thinking about it and if others will listen, I tell them I’m ADD, and how that affects me in specific situations. Surprisingly they seem interested. i.e. I was asked to join a board on a volunteer basis, and after I explained I would be inattentive, impatient, ineffectual and a whole bunch of other “ins” they got the picture. Then I offered to help in a way I know I could contribute, and thanked them for flattering me by asking to join the board in the first place.

I’ve been yakking up a storm and so far, I feel better about things and myself. go figure.

Jim (back to taking the Mood Gym tests and workbook).

REPORT ABUSE

Bettyboo

Thanks Curious and Jim…I just need to know if thinking about it slows down, and reading Rick’s posts confirms that it does depending on how I feel. Also, with time…I will just have to buy some!!!

Thanks Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elizabeth,

For me, it slowed down.

Now, it goes up and down – depending on how things are going.

I deal with it by 1) reading this website and 2) talk to some friends about it who understand it.

REPORT ABUSE

Bettyboo

Yah Curious I hear what you’re saying. I also realized that I’ve want to tell everybody how well I am compared to before the diagnoses…it is almost like I was a no body going no where with a butch of pipe dreams now I’m making the excuse of well I had adhd and that make sense why I did all of those silly things in the past…and I want to make up for it. It’s like I want to tell everyone “Do you remember when I did…and Do you remember when….I feel like a whole different person and I want to tell everyone that I’ve changed. I believe it’s a plea for belief. I know it will slow down as it has already somewhat but still many people don’t get it and make a lot of misjudgements and I get very agitated and almost have to back off from telling them they are wrong and just show them …but if they didn’t know me before the meds and thearpy they don’t believe or I get “I never really thought you had adhd I just thought you were hyper.”..I just want to say whatever…but you placed a judgment on me….I’m learning that if you don’t fit the norm your different…sometimes I like the norm but other times actually most times I don’t fit the norm and can think outside the box…

I’ll be okay…I listen to Dr. J video and it takes a good year to get used to it all so…I can be patient.

Thanks again

Bye for now!!

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

There will come a point, Elizabeth, where you will actually get tired of talking about it. At least, talking about it all the time.

I think it came at some point when I realized that the diagnosis did explain a lot of stuff from my past and stuff I had done, both good and bad. But that since it was in the past, it was… history. I found I was reliving all this stuff, and missing out on the present and even more, avoiding looking ahead to the future. One of the experts we interviewed, Dr. Annick Vincent, talked about looking in the rear view mirror when you drive, but that to get where you want to go, safely, means spending more time looking ahead at what’s coming at you.

On the weekend I was doing a panel on ADHD at a Science Fiction convention, with Glenn Norman and Michelle Goodeve, a couple of fellow ADDers and there were several people in the room who had gotten the diagnosis recently. And boy, it reminded me how all consuming it can be at first. It’s kind of like “Everything you knew about yourself is up for grabs.” And you want people to know it wasn’t necessarily you.

And I wanted people to stop judging me. Because I felt very strongly they were wrong to do that, an insensitive, and unfair and they owed me an apology… and look what happened, I was judging them.

Mostly what I realized is that no one else cared nearly as much about it as I did. Unless they were struggling with the same thing. Which I guess is why I love this website so much.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)