Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD/ADHD and Hyperparathyroidism

ADD/ADHD and Hyperparathyroidism2011-05-30T17:16:41+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Other ADD/ADHD and Hyperparathyroidism

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

What words can be found – and where can they be found – showing what, if any, relationship there is between hyperparathyroidism and ADD/ADHD? This request is not meant to discourage any informal discussion of this question if one does not have a specific reference for me..

My most pressing symptom is a gradual progression into fatigue that requires three or four naps per day. That kind of cuts into the number of hours for the normal work day. Hyperparathyroidism also leads to more frequent kidney stones, loss of bond density, and a myriad of other unwanted conditions.

I remember that one of the first questions my psychologist asked was if there was any physical or medical issues that could have the same symptoms as ADD/ADHD. At that time hyperparathyroidism had not been suspected, much less diagnosed, until a blood test had such a high level of calcium reported that it was thought the test was corrupted. A second test by a different lab cause my internist to see the endocrinologist.

It is now suspected that the hyperparathyroidism fatigue syndrome is aggravating a pre-existing ADD/ADHD symptom.

I have seen an endocrinologist and set a July date for surgery to remove the swollen right superior parathyroid bland and to explore the left superior parathyroid gland for removal.

My endocrinologist, internist and psychologist are keeping each other advised. But, I still would like to know if any anyone else has a reference or experience to share. If anyone would like to know more about my experiences with ADD/ADHD and a parathyroid overlay, just let me know in your reply to this post.

Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

caper

I researched hyperparathyroidism extensively after I found out my mother had it. Incidences of secondary hyperparathyroidism is much higher in northern lattitudes where people get less vitamin D from the sun. Not until 30-40ng/ml of 1,25 D does your parathyroid start reducing output of parathyroid hormone.

Primary hyperparathyroidism is a very slow process, and likely starts at fetal development. Only until mid-life do the parathyroid glands grow large enough to start causing problems with things like calcium regulation.

If you have secondary hyperparathyroidism, the cure is to slowly bring your vitamin D up to healthy levels.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)