Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD/ADHD and joining the USA military

ADD/ADHD and joining the USA military2011-06-24T13:28:00+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Other ADD/ADHD and joining the USA military

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can someone tell me what the criteria for joining the military is if someone has add/adhd and is on medication to manage it…Is there some type of waiting period to join if they stop taking meds? Are there loopholes? Is there different rules for different branches when it comes to this? If you have a personal experience regarding this of If there is a verified website that can help me with these rules this it would be greatly appreciated.

REPORT ABUSE

cakat01

This is a common question on ADD/ADHD forums. There are a few criteria, and you cannot be taking medication for a year prior to joining. I don’t think you can take ADD medication while in the military.

Here’s the main part that you need: “Under current practice, an applicant with a history of ADHD may be given a medical waiver if he or she has not been treated with therapeutic medication within the last year, has documentation of stable employment or has done well in school (medication or an individual education plan), and has had no significant encounters with the legal system.”

Here are a few links:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asthma.htm

http://www.amsara.amedd.army.mil/reports/2000/ATTENTIONDEFICIT.htm

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow how many loopholes in the rules. Hmm significant trouble.. is that why before someone gets sentenced a judge gives a criminal the chance to join the military instead of getting a wrap sheet…….. ikes no wonder why adhd is in the military and we have kids coming home with PTSD. Ikes is our judicial system is out of touch!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)