Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

adderall and diet

adderall and diet2011-02-03T06:59:01+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR adderall and diet

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I keep finding conflicting information about what is okay to eat with adderall. Some say orange juice is okay, some say it makes the adderall ineffective. I read that all acidic foods were bad to eat with it, so I looked up acidic foods, and found many lists, but generally, orange juice is listed as not acidic.

I recently started Adderall IR 10 mg 2x a day, and it rocks! But I’m afraid of building up a tolerance, and I want to take as little as possible, so I’d like to avoid things that make it less effective. It really is like they say, you do get back that arm that’s been tied behind your back. I never want to go back.

Are there any studies about this, or do I just have to experiment on myself to find out?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I just picked up my prescription today for the XR version and there is a list of side-effects on the paper they give you with it. It says take with or without food and with milk or water. However, after reading that and the product info sheet on the Shire site I’m more freaked out from reading about the sudden death from stroke and heart issues than I am about whether or not it loses effectiveness :-) That said the product info sheet says

“Do not take antacids at the same time as ADDERALL XR®.

ADDERALL XR® may interact with a class of medications that reduce the acid produced in the stomach

called Proton Pump Inhibitors, commonly known as PPI (e.g.: Losec®).”

Perhaps the acidic food issue is one of those myths perpetuated in internet forums a result of misunderstanding this caution?

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

I just got my adderall. There is something on the pharmacist’s label about fruit juices and vitamin C. Something about stomach acid and that effecting how your body absorbs the medication. Whew! I’m glad you said something. I’m guessing I’ll have to stop my morning OJ routine. I was taking it for the calcium, anyway. Here’s the link to the CVS Pharmacy precautions: <http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/health/medication_detail_precautions.jsp?ndc=54868367400&gt;

Juice isn’t that great for you, anyhow. Juice is just straight fructose, which is probably not the best for ADDers, anyway, if we are trying to limit simple sugar intake. The site says citrus is right out, but even still, if you’re going to want an apple, eat an apple, don’t drink the juice. You don’t get the vitamins and minerals that are in the skin when you just drink the juice.

What’s this about alchohol, though. Is one beer every now and then okay???

I love this website! Thanks, Unholycow, for the heads up!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Nellie, the heart warnings are for those who already have heart issues. If you are taking heart meds or high blood pressure, it would be very wise to call your doctor.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was on Adderall XR for about 8 months and loved it. The analogy of the arm no longer being tied behind the back is exactly how I felt. I felt free for the first time in my life.

I heard about not taking with Antacids (which I was taking for the calcium… so I switched to taking Tums in the evening) I hadn’t heard about not taking with juice, I never did drink juice with it as I don’t drink much anyway… WHICH got me in trouble so….

May I STRONGLY recommend that you drink lots of water throughout the day? Since I was never a big drinker (of anything but my morning coffee) I ended up with a serious bladder problem because of the Adderall. Now I can’t take ANY stimulant :(

VERY sad indeed as it truly did ROCK. I don’t blame the meds, though, I believe that I “took it wrong”. It was recommended that I drink more water while taking it, and I just didn’t so everything concentrated in my bladder and put little “holes” in the lining. 😥

I was also told by docs and on research from ‘net sites that taking with protein (milk/cheese/eggs) helps it work better/longer.

I am now trying Intuniv, but it’s not working as well just yet. It doesn’t work as fast or as effectively as stimulants.

REPORT ABUSE

Zita

My Doctor said not to drink juice with in two hours of taking adderall, he said it looses it’s efectiveness. After the two hours goes by drink all the juice you want to.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)