Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall gets me through the day

Adderall gets me through the day2012-01-07T01:11:02+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall gets me through the day

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Starting on meds about two years ago and it gets me through the day teaching. Can’t believe I went 47 years without it!!

REPORT ABUSE

Kissarissa

What level are you at? How does it help you? What improvements do you see?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Kissarissa – My first prescription was for 10mg Adderall. I took a pill usually in the late morning on days when I planned to do something where I thought the Adderall might make a difference, such as driving a long distance or sitting down to do bookkeeping or paperwork. I did not notice a significant improvement, so like on a 0-10 scale, maybe a 7 to an 8. So I tried taking 20 mg. Same result.

Next visit to the doc, I asked for 20mg. As mentioned above, I have not noticed a significant difference. Not that there isn’t one, it’s just that, if there is, I haven’t noticed. Well, there was a time or two that it may have helped, like the time I was cleaning house. I may try 40 mg or I may cut up my 20mg in half and go back to 10mg. It may be that Adderall just does not work for me as well as something else would. However, 20mg has made a WORLD of DIFFERENCE in my 21 year old son.

That answers your first question about level. Now for the background on myself. I am 59 and took a TOVA test administered by the psychologist that diagnosed my son. Currently, the last post I made at http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=256 describes the test and my experience in taking it. My other posts on the thread describe more about me and my situation.

My diagnosis consisted of going to the psychologist and saying that my son, whom he had tested, has ADHD, a 30 minute interview, the TOVA test, and the psychologist saying, “yes, it looks like you have it too. So what do you want to do?” I thought that I should try Adderall to see if it made any difference for me, since it had made such a profound difference in my son. He said OK, gave me paperwork to take to my GP who charged $5 to sign a prescription for Adderall. About $35 at Walmart.

Two months later back to the GP, asked for 20mg, OK, $5, and back to Walmart. I like my GP. He sees a lot of kids, and adults, with ADHD, but I am not sure how familiar he is with the treatment. I have the impression that he would be agreeable to whatever med and strength in which I would be interested, within reason. I expect that I will eventually end up with a bunch of Adderall or some other med which I never finish.

I am self employed, a business owner, and investor, so I don’t have to answer to anyone. The work I do for my business only takes a few hours a week. So if I take all week to do it, that’s fine. I don’t have a lot of work to do or high pressure deadlines. Things I don’t want, don’t like, can’t seem to do – I make my employees do. It makes for an ADHD friendly position. All this to say that I can get distracted and have my mind wander for days or even weeks and still keep things running smoothly, more or less. Under these conditions, you can see why I might have difficulty in determining how well the Adderall works for me. I don’t have much incentive or need to remain focussed for more than a few hours a week. (There are sooo many shiny things out there.)

So what’s the problem? Well, that is pretty well described in the above referenced link. But briefly, it is in relationships. I suspect that in order for Adderall to help in this respect, I would have to consistantly take it every day. I’m not particularly interested in doing that. And it may well be that I am too set in my ways to ever change at this point. Read “The ADHD Effect on Marriage.” It pretty well nails my problems.

I have a little blood pressure monitor and have a sense that the Adderall has a tendancy to raise my pressure. However my pressure varies so much (117/69 – 138/85) that it is hard to tell. It may be the machine, although when I give blood, I believe it is generally around 120/80. Of note, about two years ago, I noticed that my readings went from about 130/85 to 115/75. The only thing I might be able to attribute the change is to discovering frozen salmon at Sams which I eat two to three times a week. Other than that, its tenderloin, pizza, and mexican food.

So what was the question? Oh yeah, uh … when I take Adderall, I don’t want to take my afternoon nap with the cats. I’ll end up doing something random or perhaps something productive or for work. Other than that, as mentioned above, there seems to be a small increase in efficiency and productivity. I don’t think I’ve tried it for reading or when I have to sit for an extended period of time like for chruch. Perhaps I should take the Adderall and then go make a list of things to do and try while on it to see if I notice a difference.

I’ll get back with you … if I remember … and don’t get distracted.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Afternoon nap with the cats. I just did that yesterday. Well, I just have the one cat. Maybe I should get more. Plural sounds even better.

But….really? The Adderall helps you avoid that? Cause, I really had other stuff I could’ve done yesterday and just couldn’t find the motivation to do it.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

@ashockley55

Adderall does exactly that for me. Nothing more nothing less. I get productive and stay that way until about dinner. No Adderall, not much gets done. It’s been a bit of a lifesaver for me in terms of getting work done so I can sustain an income etc. Jim

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

This makes me double upset that my doctor’s appt. was cancelled this morning. >:-[

REPORT ABUSE

Kissarissa

Do you guys notice an impact difference if taken with food or not with food?

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

@Kissarissa. I notice no difference eating or not.

You need to know that almost all of us have different symptoms and reactions to the same or different meds; in short, it’s something you need to try to see if it works for you. Adderall Rx helps me focus and work and procrastination goes away, and I have no side effects, but others react very differently to this medication.

Focus (heh) on getting the diagnosis and then see what strategies and/or meds will get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck, Jim

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)