Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall IR?

Adderall IR?2019-04-06T17:14:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall IR?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ameliaq
    Participant

I am a 28-yo female. I was diagnosed with adhd at 26. I was initially prescribed vyvanse but was unable to fill the prescription due to cost (even with coupon and insurance it would have been $130/month). I finally asked my doctor for alternatives after struggling more for the past two years. About 2 weeks ago I was prescribed adderall ir 10mg twice a day. Truthfully, I do not take it twice a day. I have only ever taken it once a day at most and some days not at all. I am worried about becoming dependent/reliant on it. I do not and have never abused meds, but I worry that I might be accused of it especially with adderall because it is known for being abused.

I have questions about what the expected/optimal results are for taking adderall ir. How do I know if it is working for me? How do I know if the dosage is too low? I do notice that my thoughts are less chaotic when I have taken it, but I still struggle with regulating focus. For example, I still seem to flit between tasks where I though it would help me be able to see a task through before moving onto another task if that makes sense. I am unsure if I have the wrong impression about what adderall should do? I also notice that it wears off more quickly than I imagined. I thought it should last 4-6 hours, but after 2 hours at most I don’t seem to have the same results as when I first take it.

I am unsure what I should say to my doctor about it as I have a follow up in a couple of weeks to discuss how the meds are working and truthfully I have no idea…I don’t know what they are supposed to do, so it is difficult to determine if they are working properly. any advice?

REPORT ABUSE

jonthegreat
    Participant

It sounds like you weren’t prescribed a high enough dosage. Adderal is a really touchy thing and is specific to a person which is why it’s hard for a doctor to automatically know what amount would be right for you. The dosage that you’re taking is the same amount that my doctor gives me as a “booster” for the evenings in addition to the 25mg that I’m supposed take in the morning which lasts all day. I actually hate taking my meds because they make me feel super down and not like myself, I lack energy and feel like a zombie but the fact is, if I want to get my work done and accomplish the tasks that I need to, then I have to take my meds. In my experience if you can’t feel an actual difference in your body/mood/behavior then the dosage is probably wrong especially if you’re still struggling to focus. However, beware that it’s not a miracle drug that will solve all your problems. The meds are to help you settle down in my opinion and once I’m settled, I have a greater ability to focus but only if I actually say to myself “hey I really gotta get this done.” Sometimes my meds just make me super focused on scrolling through my social media and I don’t get anything done at all. They help fuel to car but you have to steer it yanno? So with that being said, in you’re situation you should definitely try taking both of the pills during the day instead of one and see how that works in the meantime. Personally since I hate the way they feel I only take them when I know that I have to get something done that day. Also tell your doctor the concerns you listed here, they’ve heard them before from others bc this isn’t uncommon and they’ll know what to do and have suggestions for a prescription change. I know I got off topic here but you’re situation is not uncommon and you’re not alone. You have to try different things to see what works best for you. I hope this helps 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)