Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall XR 30mg making me impatient and grouchy

Adderall XR 30mg making me impatient and grouchy2011-02-12T04:43:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall XR 30mg making me impatient and grouchy

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was prescribed to take the Adderall XR 30mg’s once a day however when I take them as prescribed at about 3 pm I am super angry about nothing in general really and have no patience whatsoever! buuut if I take the one pill in the morning and another at around 3 pm I’m totally fine all day. I don’t have trouble going to sleep at night and I’m not running around like a chicken with my head cut off..most of the time..it depends on what I was doin when the medicine kicks in really. My doctor said she could only prescribe me the 30mg’s a day so I don’t know how to tell her I’ve been taking more without her thinking I’m crazy or some kind of pill head. I really tried to stick to the one a day but I have two children (one is 3 and the other is 1) pretty sure my 3 year old son has ADHD as well but can’t get him tested yet because of his age. But he runs around literally ALL day and can’t bring himself to be quiet for any long amount of time and if he does slow down for a minute he’s jumps up and has to yell and run around before he can sit still again or if he sits down he falls asleep. So you can see why I need to be able to get up and go more than the usual housewife. I’m also an idiot who decided to quit high school during my senior year so I’m trying to finish up that school work while trying to keep him from yelling and keep my 1 year old daughter from getting run over while my son is running back and forth.

I don’t exactly know where I was going with all of this…well actually I have no idea..I guess does anyone have any of the same issues?

I was diagnosed with ADHD the inattentive type so basically without medication I procrastinate everything (including peeing) until the death, I hate moving, being rushed, I’m completely content sitting in one place procrastinating everything while finding things to entertain myself spent my whole life being called a space cadet because of my amazing ability to zone out for hours on end no matter what’s going on around me..didn’t really help much in school..obviously not a very healthy lifestyle. Medication was definitely needed!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m on Adderall IR, I havent tried the XR but my last dossage was 20mg x3 daily. That seemed like it worked fine for me but in all actuallity it was doing about the same thing its doing to you. I’d find myself in great shape in terms of focus, and distractability. My emotions were easier to manage but when I was on the tail end of the dossage i’d start to loose it. I had a couple of times when I was out in public that this happened and it sucked. I also was having anxiety attacks which I’d never really hadnt had since I was a child. My dossage was lowered to 20mg a day but if I need to take another 20mg later in the day its fine. So far i’ve just been taking the 20mg and have been ok in terms of what you are talking about. You might try a lower dossage multiple times a day of IR instead of XR? Or maybe a lager or smaller dossage of the XR. From what I got from my doctor you really have to work with whatever knowlege you have to set your own schedule and dossage, kind of sounds bad but it make sense to me when he tells me in his own words.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As part of my Adderall XR regimen, my doctor started my on 10 mg/day, as my body is sensitive to the effects of medication (on Effexor, for example, I could only handle 75 mg/day). A month later, we went to 20 mg, once a day. After that, my dosage was raised to 20 mg upon rising, and an extra 20 mg at lunch (if I knew I was gong to have a long day). After three more weeks on just the morning dose, I started taking the lunchtime dose on a regular basis (unless I sleep in really late). In the meantime, my body clock had to get used to a lower sleep requirement. This past week, the psychiatrist and I agreed to hold to the 2x/day regimen. My wife is in total agreement–a couple nights before, she saw the effect on my late night driving when I hadn’t taken my lunchtime dose!

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

I have the inattentive ADD issue too. I am a PRO at PROcrastinating! Too bad we can’t make money at this PROfession…

Anyway, my wife and her mom and our daughter (hmmm, all women…) said I was more impatient and a bit more grouchy than before Adderall. I asked my psychiatrist if there might be a different med that would not reinforce my negatives but would still work on my inattentive ADD. He told me to, and I quote, “Just stop. That is a bad question. The first axiom of medicine is to do no harm. You have been successfully dealing with this for years, so let’s do something different. Let’s take you off any meds for 60 days and ask your wife to take notes on your behavior. Have her start in two weeks.” Well yes, I have been “dealing” with it for a long time but I am getting tired of the effort to corral my “squirrel on ritalin” brain, with a side dish of really well practiced procrastination and wanted some modern medicine help. In my world there are no bad questions, only crummy answers. Has anyone else found that one stimulant made you grouchy while another did the job without the negatives? Stratterra worked for a few months but aside from the physical (restricted urine flow, dry mouth) I could not detect any help for the ADD. Anybody have any better results by changing from Adderall to a different stimulant?

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

From what I have read Adderall does increase anxiety and physical tension in many people. There are a couple of things I do that might help. The first is learn to relax. Learning to relax physically also relaxes the mind. I use progressive muscle relaxation, but there are many ways to achieve “the relaxation response. The second thing that might help is to understand how ADD affects your emotional responses. With ADD, we don’t have the same regulation of emotions that a normal brain does, which causes us to react without thinking. The snappy/grouchy -ness you describe is typical. Learning to intercept those reactions is difficult but there are ways to do. I use mindfulness, which makes me more aware of my thoughts and emotions in the present moment (not running on auto pilot).

The catch is that, learning these things will be much easier if you are on meds. You might look into these therapies and then explain to the doctor why you need to go back on meds. If your doctor prescribed meds without therapy, he probably doesn’t know much about ADD.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)