Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall XR to Vyvanse

Adderall XR to Vyvanse2014-04-14T17:50:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall XR to Vyvanse

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

munkie

Im on 20mg of Adderall XR and might be switching to Vyvanse because I might be able to get it for free.  I just want to know if anyone has made the switch and what it was like.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Munkie, be careful about switching, just because a different med is cheaper.

Meds are never one-size-fits-all. What works for one person is often completely wrong for the next. It all depends on how each of us metabolizes that particular med through the parts of our brain that are affected by it. (Dr. Charles Parker’s book, “The New ADHD Medication Rules”, explains this really well, in an ADHD-friendly way.)

So, it takes careful trial-and-error, under medical supervision, to find the right one for you. This can be a long and frustrating process, so if Adderall is working for you, it might be wiser to stay with it, instead of starting the trial-and-error process to see if Vyvanse works for you.

Many drug companies offer patient assistance plans, free of charge, to help cover the cost of meds. Do look into this.

As for what to expect, research Vyvanse and Adderall on REPUTABLE sites, and (most of all) discuss them with your pharmacist. He or she will know more about meds than even your doctor does!

Then, you and your doctor can discuss your situation, and whether the potential benefits of changing meds outweigh the potential risks.

Remember, your healthcare is a partnership between you and your healthcare professionals. You have the right to fully understand everything about your care, and to have a say in the decisions that affect it.

So, do your homework, and don’t be afraid to ask questions!

REPORT ABUSE

munkie

I have done a tone of research and have reached out to Shire and they dont offer assistance for adderall anymore.  Thank you for the advice.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Oh well, @Munkie.  The other ideas can still help a lot. Especially asking your pharmacist all sorts of questions. If a lot of people have reported a side-effect, your pharmacist will be the first one to hear it.

If you do switch meds, keep a little meds journal, so you & your doctor can track how it’s working, between appointments.

Nothing too detailed. Just the date, which med & dose, what time, good effects, bad effects, anything else that might have contributed to the effects of the med that day (e.g., shift-work, praise from your boss, a fight with your family, going for a long walk).

I don’t know about you, but I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch today. Trying to remember how a med affected me each day for a month just won’t happen without that meds journal.

Here’s hoping it all works out for you!

REPORT ABUSE

munkie

The meds journal is a good idea, thank you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)