Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Addled

Addled2012-04-28T03:53:31+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey out there to anyone that might read this..This is my main question because it’s possible I may get off track, there’s only one person who knows I have adhd. I’m certain family members suspect but anyways, after taking the long way around life I’m trying to fulfill a longtime dream and head back to school and actually accomplish something that I can be proud of. I don’t know if I should mention it to the prof or not that I have adhd. My one trustworthy friend says I shouldn’t (they are not adhd) because they say it will give me more confidence knowing that I completed University at the same playing level that everyone else graduates with. The only reason why I would want the U to know is Not to delay deadlines or any special treatment, but I’m concerned about zoning out in classes that I will have to take. I have a small, ok well..substanstanial anxiety of being in groups of people and looking like a complete idiot. Actually people just staring at me could be a problem. Either I’ll start cracking jokes without thinking about what I’m really saying or I’ll freeze up like a deer in headlights. I’m so pumped about going but terrified at the same time. Maybe it is better if no one knows. I really should listen to my friend more. I’ve ignored their advice many many times in the past and it has gotten me into some really undesirable circumstances. If I just listened to them to begin with and not be so determined to do what I want to do…anyways, I guess if I don’t even mention that I have it to my family, why would I mention it to a prof right? If the prof happens to call on me while I’m chasing fairies in my head, that’s my own damn fault. Conclusion: Don’t mention it to the U. Listen to trustworthy friend. No regrets. Full speed ahead baby! Thank you for listening/reading.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Do you live in the US??? I’ve learned, while dealing with my daughter who has other non-ADHD issues, it’s best to get a 504 Plan (<http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html&gt;) in place. This gives you rights through the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Your physician can help with this. Without it, nobody is required to give accommodations to you. Since ADHD accommodations aren’t all that drastic, if you have a sympathetic professor, most of the time, they’ll help out, anyway. Still, it’s best to get one beforehand, just in case it’s needed.

You’re friend is a moron. Having ADHD is not some fake crap you just dreamed up that you might have. You actually have it and are not on the same level as the others. The purpose of the 504 is to get you to an equal level with your classmates. Right now, you are unfairly disadvantaged. Those accommodations merely get you up to normal, not artificially ahead. What kind of total ass says such a thing???

Trust me, as having struggled through college misdiagnosed and unmedicated, if I could do it all again, I’d get the damned 504, and get the help. Really, at the time, all the help amounted to was probably a leg up on registering, a bit more time on assignments and taking tests, possibly in a room alone with the prof., and a tape recorder for lectures. I’m not sure what your “friend” thinks is all that impressive about those accommodations that would give you some sort of unfair advantage.

How much more offensive could he be? Would you tell someone that’s deaf that they have an unfair advantage in class because they are using a hearing aid? No. So why would this guy imply you have an unfair advantage in college, because you are merely seeking accommodations that will help you get up to where everyone else is already at? You chose to confide in the one guy who obviously doesn’t believe you or understand anything about ADHD. Slap him, and move on. Okay, not literally. A metaphorical slap will do. A literal one might have you ending up in court.

Meanwhile, I say sit through the class for a day, and if you think the professor is approachable, talk it over with the professor. Hubby is a professor and he’d rather you talk to him about any issues right off, then come to him in the last week of class with a failing grade and then trying to tell him you need help. You can also talk to your academic adviser, or dean, and they may be able to help, as well. Even without a 504, many colleges will at least attempt to help you out. Really, the 504 is for when you come across the occasional ass that doesn’t believe you need any accommodations, or just plain doesn’t believe in your disability (more common with ADHD, unfortunately).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m in Canada and there’s a disability resource centre at the U. I’ve called them just to see what extra help would be offered and one of the things would be to have me take any final exams in a room with minimal distractions present. I wouldn’t be with the other students, just by myself. Honestly that’s another thing, how will I sit through a three hour exam? I guess I’ll deal with that when I get there. Anyways the person suggested that I get everything squared with them, that way if I do need the help all I’ll need to do is give them the go ahead and they will advise the profs for me. It makes sense to me but my friend really was against it. Hey, he truly does mean well but maybe he just don’t understand exactly what ADHD is. Maybe he just sees how important this is to me, he sees things very black and white…no multiple shades of grey. This is also why I haven’t told my family about me being adhd, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have it understands. It’s like, WHY would you need to have an extension on that deadline, just get it done and stop procrastinating! I really wish my friends and family knew though..and understood. I don’t know anyone who has it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)